Trying to figure out general price to expect

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
toozie21

Trying to figure out general price to expect

#1 Post by toozie21 »

So I am starting the window replacement process and I have already had one company out (for 3 hours) and it did not end well when they tried to strong arm at the end. I am going for attempt #2 tomorrow.

In general, I know I want to replace 7 wooden (old and shot) windows (none ridiculous in size) with a decent quality vinyl. What should I roughly be expecting for a cost (including install) from someone who is reputable?

It seemed like if I went with the first company's strong arm, make a decision immediately, hand over the first born, I would have ended up paying around $4200. Does ~$600/window seem average for standard vinyl (not necessarily even looking for them to be injected with foam or anything like that)?

I am in the Baltimore, MD area.

Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Trying to figure out general price to expect

#2 Post by masterext »

pricing is very difficult to comment on. however, since you are in Maryland you may be within the coverage area of "windows on washington."
you can search the site for his name and click the contact or get a quote button. i normally dont recommend contractors but he is an exception. not only does he offer a variety of quality windows, he is also very honest and will make sure you get the right window. i dont think it would hurt to at the very least talk with him.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I'd definitely recommend speaking to Windows on Washington. Find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5345

On the price, $600 per window is not out of the realm of reason for a premium product, but there are all kinds of other things (options, install procedures/complications, etc) that would go into assessing that. Regardless, I'd recommend a company that does not use high pressure tactics.

toozie21

#4 Post by toozie21 »

Ha ha ha.

I actually just finished meeting with them (purposely didn't say who it was when I started the post).

After my first failed estimate, I had stumbled upon this board and liked the way WOW represented themselves on here and figured that deserved a chance. They approach to selling themselves is MUCH more laid back than the previous vendor (who still hasn't sent their actual quote to us or left us with any paperwork).

Things went much better this time and I sort of ended up leaning towards the Okna 500 (which seems pretty reputable on this site). I had originally been smitten with a Vytex window (which WOW doesn't carry), but this one seems a little better overall.

I came into today thinking about the Gorell (per lots of good feedback in the forums), but the rep wasn't as keep on them because he said they just went out of business (which seems partially wrong, I think they were bought out, but might be just as bad). All things considered, if they like the Okna, I assume it is on par or better than the standard Gorell lines?

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Okna makes the better window without a doubt.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Having sold and installed both, I'd agree that the Okna is better, although either are better than the Vytex. I'd even venture to say that you will not find a better vinyl window than the Okna offering, as it at the top with the best offerings from Sunrise and Softlite.
On Gorell, they were indeed bought out. Very good quality window, but I'd wait for the dust to settle over there before investing in that product right now. Normally it is a product that I recommend, however that endorsement is on hold for the moment.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1
The Okna 500 will do a great job for you. The 800DX is my favorite.
Were any of your questions or concerns not answered by WOW?

jayal11

#8 Post by jayal11 »

It is indeed true that Gorell was bought. they claim that they are going about business as usual, but that remains to be seen. WOW is indeed a very good company. Although I am in NY i have met them at many meetings and you wont go wrong. Also, I have been selling Okna for years, and being that we sell every brand, I can say sure that it is the best vinyl window I have ever seen.

If you have any further questions, feel free!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington is the class of the area down there without a doubt, and is the only guy that I can recommend.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Windows on Washington is the class of the area down there without a doubt, and is the only guy that I can recommend.
Couldn't agree more. There may be other Okna dealers, but none of them offer the same level of integrity, customer service, and exceptional installation as Windows on Washington.
Last edited by randy on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddy110

#11 Post by buddy110 »

HomeSealed wrote:Having sold and installed both, I'd agree that the Okna is better, although either are better than the Vytex. I'd even venture to say that you will not find a better vinyl window than the Okna offering, as it at the top with the best offerings from Sunrise and Softlite.
On Gorell, they were indeed bought out. Very good quality window, but I'd wait for the dust to settle over there before investing in that product right now. Normally it is a product that I recommend, however that endorsement is on hold for the moment.
I agree on all counts. :D

toozie21

#12 Post by toozie21 »

Thank you all, for the advice.

I am really enamored with the Okna 500 right now, so that is where I am leaning. I am hoping to get one more quote from someone who handles that line in this area, then I hope to make a final decision and move onto windows that actually work again!

willclugo

#13 Post by willclugo »

Im in the same boat, looking for pricing for window replacement, and so far i've had about 6 or 7 different companies in my home selling there product. The ones with the highest quote came in at about 10,000 for 9 replacement windows, he's the one that needed 2hrs off my day and my wife needed to be home, needless to say he's not getting my business. All the others came in pretty close between 500 and 600 per window, i've narrowed it down to 2 and now im doing the research to see whos got better references and whos been around the longest (in case you need warranty work done). to answer your question, yes 600.00 is an avg price at least in the NY area

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

willclugo wrote:Im in the same boat, looking for pricing for window replacement, and so far i've had about 6 or 7 different companies in my home selling there product. The ones with the highest quote came in at about 10,000 for 9 replacement windows, he's the one that needed 2hrs off my day and my wife needed to be home, needless to say he's not getting my business. All the others came in pretty close between 500 and 600 per window, i've narrowed it down to 2 and now im doing the research to see whos got better references and whos been around the longest (in case you need warranty work done). to answer your question, yes 600.00 is an avg price at least in the NY area

Which windows did you see?

toozie21

#15 Post by toozie21 »

I decided to go with WOW. Hopefully in 4-6 weeks I will be able to report on here how nice the windows look and how nice it is to actually be able to open them (since my current window ones do not most of the time)!

Thanks for all the help!