Don Young vs. NT

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MLaborde

Don Young vs. NT

#1 Post by MLaborde »

I am in the Northeast Texas area and looking at either NT Executive series or comparable Don Young windows. My limited research abilities lead me to believe that the two brands are similar in quality and on a 1-10 scale (with Pella Thermastar being about a 2), about a 6. But that is about all I can find.

In the opinion of those who have experience with both, how do they stack up quality-wise against each other and against the low-end Thermastars?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I should add that one installer has tried the hard-sell (really hard) on Don Young but didn't know anything about NT, which I found odd. I found out about NT only from research on this and one other forum.

Also, since I am in a very rural area, my choices of installers is limited to a couple of local men & people that are willing to drive 50-ish miles out of Tyler, Longview, or Greenville. I haven't found anyone out of Dallas willing to come this far (100 miles) except for one company (Window Kingdom) who has an installer working out of Tyler so I would accept recommendations for installers also.
Last edited by MLaborde on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Don Young vs. NT

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy.... :D

randy

#3 Post by randy »

While I really like Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum windows, I'm not a fan of their vinyl products.

NT makes a good mid-grade window. It comes standard with double strength glass, Low-E366, Super Spacer and sash reinforcement - all of which are ideal for Texas. The quality of the vinyl itself is average, and the AL rating is middle ranking as well (.14 range). Overall, not a bad window IF the installation is well done. I think 6 is a fair rating of the NT window, Don Young I'd give a 4.

Simonton's 5500 would be a comparable window if you can find it in your area.

MLaborde

#4 Post by MLaborde »

randy wrote:While I really like Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum windows, I'm not a fan of their vinyl products.

NT makes a good mid-grade window. It comes standard with double strength glass, Low-E366, Super Spacer and sash reinforcement - all of which are ideal for Texas. The quality of the vinyl itself is average, and the AL rating is middle ranking as well (.14 range). Overall, not a bad window IF the installation is well done. I think 6 is a fair rating of the NT window, Don Young I'd give a 4.

Simonton's 5500 would be a comparable window if you can find it in your area.
Excellent information. Thank you, Randy! I've been leaning toward NT and just may have decided based on your comments.

I used the "get a quote" button for the one installer here who covers my area. I've read many of his posts before.