Advice on selecting Gorell 5100

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Airnail

Advice on selecting Gorell 5100

#1 Post by Airnail »

Thanks to the forum members for sharing their expertise and information.

I’m located in Charleston, SC and will be replacing 21 single pane wood windows/storm with 19 white vinyl double hung with colonial grids, two of which will be laminated glass for sound issues, and 2 tempered casement windows next to a recently added door. The house faces North and has heavy, direct sun to the front windows all year and we have high heat and heavy rain at times. I need a window that will stand up to that environment. Local code requires DP-50 rating.

I have quotes from Lowes (Reliabilt/Atrium windows) for $10,200 with $600 rebate (total $9,600), Window World (4000 series-Alside) for $10,200 and an independent renovation company in business for 28 years (Simonton 5050 with low-e/Argon (+2 laminated glass), $11,200, Gorell 5300 with EcoMaster glass (+two Armor glass), $13,950 or Gorell 5100 with EcoMaster glass (+two Armor glass), $11,400. I asked two other independent companies for quotes (Soft-Lite, Atrium and Simonton dealers), didn’t hear back from them.

I wanted the Gorell 5300, but decided on the Simonton 5050 due to price and the generally good comments on the forum. The contractor then advised that with Soft-Lite’s purchase of Gorell, there was a “buy 10, get one free” promotion and I could get the Gorell 5100 with EcoMaster glass (+ two Armor glass) at near the same price of the Simonton. I like the idea of more glass space on the Gorell 5100 vs the Gorell 5300.

The independent opened his pitch with a list of seven neighbors who had their windows replaced through his company (Gorell 5300s) and a copy of his liability insurance statement. I compared the Gorell 5300 to the Simonton 5050 which was mounted in his show room and saw samples of the window wrap and caulking. I didn’t see the 5100 window on this visit.

Price includes old window removal and haul away, repair rotted sills (at least 4), install windows and wrap brick mould/sill in aluminum.

Any advice or comments on price or technical issues before I sign the agreement on Monday 27 Feb?

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Advice on selecting Gorell 5100

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I think the Gorell 5100 is a better window than the Simonton 5050, Atrium an Alside (WW) windows.

One question though, make sure that all your windows that you are looking at meet the DP50, as Atriums normally don't and the others are size specific.

I don't think the 5100 does normally and needs to have re-enforcement added to meet that DP rating.

Otherwise the prices are close and I think the 5100 won't let you down. Now the contractor? Don't know him :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The gorell is better than the others. Opt for fiberglass reinforcement, foam filled frame, and double strength glass. Nice looking window.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with both recommendations above. Get the foam and sash reinforcement option on the Gorell's. It definitely the better window imo... Personally, I actually I like it better than the 5300 with those added options. Better looking, similar performance.

Airnail

#5 Post by Airnail »

Interesting that there were three other inputs to this subject, now they are gone.

The other independent renovator got back to me after three weeks. There must have been miscommunication, because I asked for a quote on Simonton Prizm windows and that is the sample window I was shown, but the quote came back for Atrium windows at almost $15,000. The quote also stated laminated glass could not be included in the two windows I wanted because, "The cost would be prohibitive." I was surprised at the price since the Lowes windows (made by Atrium) were quoted at $9,600. Maybe the quotes were for different models.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

The board moderators work diligently to clean up posts that are off topic or repetitive.

On the Atrium, they have several lines and brands (allthough I don't know if there is one that I'd recommend),so find out which line each quote is referring to.

TLHWINDOWS

#7 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Lowe's will typically quote the 3000 series and he may be quoting the 6000 series.

Personally, I don't think there is much quality difference between the series.