What is a good window to get in (Westchester) NY area?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
xxnonamexx

What is a good window to get in (Westchester) NY area?

#1 Post by xxnonamexx »

I am looking to replace my single pane original wood windows from the house I just purchased. I am looking for Vinyl double pane U Factor at least .30. I checked a company that sold Ideal Windows .30 U Factor argon gas filled, lifetime warranty, $279 per window everything included.

HomeSealed

Re: What is a good window to get in (Westchester) NY area?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Softlite, HiMark, Sunrise, and Okna are the brands generally held in the highest regard, but there are other good choices as well.
Be sure to look at the other performance numbers in addition to U value, including shgc, air infiltration, and design pressure. :D

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you have a set budget? I cannot imagine a worthwhile product at that price point in an installed capacity.

Can you provide some more details about the home, option requirements, size of the units, age of the home, etc?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

279 installed? I just find that so hard to believe. If there is some truth to that quote it most be a very poor quality. Anytime i see prices under 400 i am suspect never mind under 300.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

See my response on the sister board. http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... f=1&t=4863
In Westchester You can use a mixture of triple and double if you like, but a top quality double pane will do just fine and save you some money.
Like it has been said though, a window under $400 is not going top perform well.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

xxnonamexx, if buddy services your location he's the man to talk to without question. Just click his Get Quote button to contact him.
Just be advised, that as every other poster has mentioned, the price that you are looking at will not get you a high quality product or install. You'll likely double that, maybe more depending on option content, etc.

WindowInfo

#7 Post by WindowInfo »

HomeSealed wrote:Softlite, HiMark, Sunrise, and Okna are the brands generally held in the highest regard, but there are other good choices as well.
Be sure to look at the other performance numbers in addition to U value, including shgc, air infiltration, and design pressure. :D
+1
What HomeSealed recommended.

Here are the links to the window manufactures web sites.

Softlite Windows = http://www.soft-lite.com/locator/
OKNA/HiMark Windows = http://www.oknawindows.com/contact/
Sunrise Windows = http://www.sunrisewindows.com/contact/default.aspx

Do your research and make sure you check the company doing the install. Get references and call them.
You will not be disappointed with these manufactures.

xxnonamexx

#8 Post by xxnonamexx »

All double pane, double hung I got a price for 18 windows only not inc. installation Ecoshield 4000=$4100 incl tax. U fact.29 new castle
Simonton 5050 windows only $3300 incl. tax. .30 u fact. New castle
Ideal windows including installation =$5022 .30 u fact
All side windows from tristate .28 u fact. $430

What do you think is the best window out of the 3?
I have read mixed reviews. Thanks

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

Of the three, I would say the Simonton. Keep in mind, Installation is an extremely important ingredient here. A poor installation of a good window can render the best of windows ineffective.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:Of the three, I would say the Simonton. Keep in mind, Installation is an extremely important ingredient here. A poor installation of a good window can render the best of windows ineffective.
+1

Install has to be spot on for them to work anywhere near their theoretic performance.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with both points above. In addition, I prefer the 5500 or better in the Simonton product.