replacement windows milwaukee area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DrJ

replacement windows milwaukee area

#1 Post by DrJ »

Anyone heard of Enviroview windows? I can't find much info on them. They look really good, but very pricey. I was really impressed by the Activator12 glass, but not sure if they are worth nearly $1000ea. Any other recommendations?
tia

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: replacement windows milwaukee area

#2 Post by masterext »

Enviro view is nothing more than a re labeled alside Excalibur which is a lower end window and not recommended. There are plenty of higher end windows that you can get for a Better price.
There is a contractor who frequents these boards by answering questions and giving advice to home owners. His board name is " HomeSealed" . He is not only a great contractor but he is one of the nicest guys you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.
I would really give him a call. Search the board for his name then hit his contact button.

DrJ

#3 Post by DrJ »

Wow, thanks for that master ext. I have to admit, I was skeptical of your comments, but after spending a few hours searching the site, it appears that you are correct. The most alarming thing is that I actaully received another quote for the same window under the Alside name and it was thousands less! Boy do I feel foolish, talk about the power of some nice brohures and a good salesman. I am looking for a high-perfomance, high-end window. I'll contact Homesealed, but do you have another other more product specific recommendations? And what do you suggest I look for in a window to avoid being duped again?
This site has been a tremendous resource, thanks again!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Look for the following features:
Composite ( non metal spacer)
Ufactor - .28 or lower in double pane
Air leakage rate - .05 or lower
Welded sloped sill ( no snap in slopes or pocket sills)
Although not 100% necessary, i like a window with reinforcement..again, something that is non metal. Some sort of composite material.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

The best way to avoid deceptive sales people and shady sales tactics is to get with HomeSealed. You won't get anything but honesty, superior products and professional installation from him.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, Brandon and his team at HomeSealed is everything the others are saying.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If you contact Brandon at Homesealed he will be showing you the HiMark window by Okna. Top notch window with great looks, great air infiltration numbers and very low u_Factors. You will be very happy to see them after what you've seen so far.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to seem like a "Homer", but Brandon and his company are top flight. I would use them on my own home and have regularly recommended them to people in that area and have gotten great feedback.

DrJ

#9 Post by DrJ »

Well, seems like the verdict is overwhelming, lol. I see that he has one of the buttons under his name, so I assume that is how to contact him?
Already had a couple other quotes, interested to know your thoughts:
24 double hung windows, and 1 bay. The installation type is into the exisiting frame, and the windows are white with grids in the glass. I'm leaving out the names of the companies, I don't know if that is against the rules here. Also rounding on the prices.
Enviroview was $37k, but they came down to $25k if I "buy now". Guy was going door to door, and I believe that they are based in madison.
A regional company selling "Sophia" (my research indicates that it is made by Thermal Industries) came in around $10k, up to $15 depending on options. I was not crazy about that one, and the price seemed really low comparatively. Big established company though, so I at least felt some comfort from that.
Restorations from another well known company. I see that Sunrise makes that window and it appears to be well respected? These guys were actually more than the first quote, and kinda pushy, but should I still consider it? They also came down considerably in price before leaving, and were really trying to push replacing the entire frame. My frames seem to be in decent shape and my windows are all between 30-40" wide, so losing a little bit of glass is not a major concern for me.
Alside Excalibur or Sheffield from a smaller guy that did my neighbors house. Everything looked good from what I could tell and he came in under the $10k quote, but he is a fairly small company without a showroom. I am also finding more negative than positive in my research on the product.

Anyway,I'll definitely contact homeseal, but I would not mind some feedback on what I have seen so far. I have to say, I am completely baffled by the fact that the pricing that I have received seems to all be at the extremes, rather than in the middle.
tia

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not a fan of the start high and then drop price approach. Just seems to lack integrity.

If the one variable is full frame compared to insert install? They can not be considered as the same for pricing.
Not being in your market nor seeing the details of the install, by the way how old is your home? I would think you should budget $17.5 to $20K for a exceptional energy performance window like Sunrise, HiMark, Okna, Soft-lite.
Personally I would not consider the others you have mentioned.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

Brandon is truly an expert in his field.
Alside does not make good windows in my opinion, I would not consider them. Do a search of the board to find opinions on both alside and thermal industries.

DrJ

#12 Post by DrJ »

Thanks again to everyone for the input.
Crankthisout, I did attend the a show a few weeks ago, thanks for the suggestion though. Ironically enough, I did see those options that you mention, but to be honest, I was not crazy about the looks. The other thing that I've learned is that the pocket sill design channels water through the frame, which sounds like a bad idea to me. It seems as though the general consensus is to avoid that attribute.
I have to say thanks again to all of you guys. I feel like I've taken a crash course in window replacement! When is the test? :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The real test will be once you pull the trigger and the install is complete.
I hope you get an A+

DrJ

#14 Post by DrJ »

Just an update: Leave it to the last days of winter for my 10 year old furnace to go out! Windows postponed for a couple months. I did have the opportunity to look up that Himark window and I'm very impressed both with the looks and perfomance. I never knew that they made vinyl windows with metal handles like that. Anyways, thanks again for all of your guidence, this site is a tremendous resource! I'll be back!