New Windows - Chicagoland

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sbking

New Windows - Chicagoland

#1 Post by sbking »

Hello - we are currently beginning the process of getting vinyl replacement windows in our house to replace the original windows from 60's and I know nothing about windows or what to look for. I am a little concerned because we want to make a decision here soon but the more I read the more confused I get especially when dealing with this amount of money. There are 17 total windows and we want 1 to be a garden window and the rest double-hung windows.

1. Any recommendations on companies and/or installers in the Chicago area? Our home is in Dupage County East of Naperville for reference.
2. Any idea (range) on what I should expect for costs for a mid-upper grade window installed? Any specific features I should look for or definitely stay away from?
3. Any brand of window I should be looking at? So far I went to Feldco and I guess they just sell their own brand. We are also planning on asking Gilkey for a quote but haven't done so yet.

I know that is a lot to ask but I would appreciate any input. The windows do not need to have any cosmetic dividers as I would prefer an unobstructed view. The vinyl finish should be white or perhaps a few other standard color choices like brown.

HomeSealed

Re: New Windows - Chicagoland

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

This is an easy one! Window4U is your man. Awesome guy, best products, fair price. Find him on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5035 ...just click the Get a Quote button next to his name.
...btw, Felco's windows are made by Thermal Industries. Mediocre and outdated product. For comparison, you want to pay very close attention to the thermal and structural ratings as opposed to the sales "gimmicks" that everyone will throw at you. You also want a welded, sloped sill. The only time that pocket sills (like Feldco and others) are acceptable is in coastal applications where they can be necessary to meet requirements.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

#1 to what homesealed said. definitely call windows4u. not only is he a great guy, he is also one of the most knowledgeable window contractors in the industry.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote:You also want a welded, sloped sill. The only time that pocket sills (like Feldco and others) are acceptable is in coastal applications where they can be necessary to meet requirements.
Gilkey has a pocket sill too that runs rainwater through the sill chambers.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

whenever you have a pocket sill or a snap in sloped sill for that matter, water doesnt just drain down a sill, it drains through the frame itself. this is never a good thing. why? when those weep holes on the bottom of exterior eventually get clogged water can back up in the frame and mold developes. whenever i see an older window with a pocket sill, i always see black mold along the sill.
you always want a " truely welded sloped sill".
that said, in certain coastal applications, a pocket sill can have its place.

sbking

#6 Post by sbking »

Thanks for the advice. I am reaching out to Window4U to get a quote. Much appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good choice.

sbking

#8 Post by sbking »

I just thought I would update people on my experience with Dave. Thanks for the recommendations from the people here. He and his team do things on their own time table but I think it is worth it. The Windows turned out excellent, his team was VERY polite and professional and I couldn't be happier with the job they did. True craftsmen, the capping is outstanding as is the weather proofing and his approach in dicussing a major financial decision like this was much appreciated. Thanks again.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

thanks for posting your results. this is exactly why we recommend Dave.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:thanks for posting your results. this is exactly why we recommend Dave.

Big +1

Glad the job turned out great and you have just reinforced what we know to be true about Dave and his guys.