Question about standard/best practice for my installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sharona

Question about standard/best practice for my installation

#1 Post by sharona »

Hi. I've had a few companies out here to get some pricing and I've gotten some conflicting information on how they need to do the work.

Big box #1 didn't really discuss specifics about the installation method. It was pouring the day they were here so we did not look at the windows from the outside. I wasn't aware that there might be a problem with how they would do the work until...

Big box #2 said that because the existing windows are "one with the frame" and the casement mechanism is attached to the outside sill, they would need to rip out the entire window, frame and sill and put in all new.

Local guy said that they would not need to do that (when I asked). He said they would cut the existing window out of the frame and reuse it.

Today at the local Harvey showroom I asked one of the people there and he said "they really should take it down to the framing" Not sure what he meant and didn't have a chance to ask for more detail.

What is the accepted removal/installation method in this situation? So confusing and way more complicated than I had hoped this process would be! I have one more local installer coming out next week and I need to know what questions I should be asking about the actual installation process. Quality installers - thanks in advance for your professional opinions. Wish I knew how to post a picture so I could show you what I'm talking about but I'm sure you've seen it before. I can't be the only person who has 50 year old wood casement windows that need to be replaced.

HomeSealed

Re: Question about standard/best practice for my installation

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

A pic would be great... Generally casements do not need to be torn out completely unless the wood is rotted, there are water management issues, etc. That said, there are exceptions. I would not rely on anyone from a big box for reliable information.

sharona

#3 Post by sharona »

definitely not rotted and no water issues. I'll get a pic tomorrow and figure out how to post it. thanks.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With casement windows and an insert style replacement the sash is removed and the hardware is removed from the existing unit. If any stops can be removed that is good.
The new window goes into the existing sash opening is secured, insulated and caulked. New interior stops may be applied.The tough thing sometimes is figuring out if the stop profile/off set is a peice that is applied or routed in the mainframe.

If casement are narrow I like to see a visible glass work sheet to compare existing to insert to full tear/full frame replacement.
thewindownerd....

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:A pic would be great... Generally casements do not need to be torn out completely unless the wood is rotted, there are water management issues, etc. That said, there are exceptions. I would not rely on anyone from a big box for reliable information.
+1

Inserts are acceptable about 95% of the time and the folks at the big box stores, while well intentioned, are not the buck stops there source of information.