Quotes - Need some insights\feedback

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
daver2

Quotes - Need some insights\feedback

#1 Post by daver2 »

Ok. So, I am collecting quotes.

I have 2 quotes from 2 contractors so far. I am looking for 2 more scheduled next week.

Basic info:
They explained that they both use dedicated crews (same crews all the time). All their crew have been with the respective companies for many years, etc... I guess I will have to accept that as true..
They both use same aluminum capping and install it the same way (as they explained)
They both use low expansion foams
They both explained the final product finish on the inside and out (caulked, etc)
Both quotes include the internal grids I need.
Same “lifetime” labor warranties
Both local companies, been around for minimum of 7 years.

So, to the quotes.

15 – OKNA 800 Enviro Star installed - $10,500 (ave. $480 per window cost, excluding installation)**Plus a charge of $10 linear foot for rotten wood

15 – OKNA 500 Insul-Tec installed - $9,500 (ave. $430 per window cost, excluding installation) ** Plus a charge of $10 linear foot for rotten wood

15 – Soft-Lite BainBridge (dual pane) installed - $6500 ** Plus a charge of $6 linear foot for rotten wood

15 – Soft-Lite Barrington (dual pane) installed - $6300 ** Plus a charge of $6 linear foot for rotten wood

15 – Simonton 5500 (dual pane) installed - $7000 * Plus a charge of $6 linear foot for rotten wood

Background for decision making:

I will not live in this house forever. I am thinking 3 years or so more.
I do not need fancy lifts, etc... I want function over frills.
I am probably not willing to pay exponentially to chase efficiency numbers. I know that all these windows are better than the 15 year old contractor grade windows with failing seals, that I have now.

So, the question is simply which should I go with? I do not see how I can justify extra $2k to $3k but am I being scammed by the cheaper quotes or are they just a most cost effective window?

Thanks for the inputs!

Delaware Mike

Re: Quotes - Need some insights\feedback

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I like the Bainbridge over the Barrington. I've installed both in the past and with the Bainbridge you will get metal meeting rail reinforcement, some foam filling, and balance covers. If you feel comfortable with the dealer and their installers that is quoting the Soft-Lite products it would be hard to argue against their pricing as it's pretty much rock bottom. If it were any lower I'd be very suspect.

The OKNA products are going to have an edge in performance and are more up to date in design. There is more weatherstripping (3-point contact on sashes) on the OKNA models which is why they are a little more air tight. Make sure you research the Soft-Lite dealer to make sure they are legit if you feel they are the best value.

Let us know how the next quotes work out for you. I don't like to judge internet quotes by pricing as who really knows the skill set and the time that the actual installers spend on a project? One company can race through a job in a single day while another might be there twice as long. The caulking and capping can be night and day's difference.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Mike's comments. The Simonton is not worth consideration in that company, IMO. The Okna is easily the best choice of the group. If you don't need the frills, the 500 is a great choice... That really is some aggressive pricing on the Softlite products though. How do you feel about the installation companies? The price premium could easily be made up if you're dealing with a company that will deliver superior quality and service, but if they are about equal, it would be difficult to justify that difference on product alone. If I were you, I'd let the Okna dealer know the situation, and see what he can do for you on the 500 pricing. :wink:

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Obviously i am going to endorse the Okna because i truley believe in the product. The 800 is a great window and the 500 is solid as well. I would be remiss by not mentioning soft lite as a good window and concur with my other two colleagues.
Depending on where you are located you should be able to view top brands which okna and soft lite are; just not a fan of the barrington.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

One thing I'd add to my previous comment, Softlite is definitely a top tier brand as well. I only lean heavily toward the Okna in this comparison because the Imperial LS and Elements would be more of an apples to apples offering from Softlite.