Northern NJ replacement windows questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Yankman30

Northern NJ replacement windows questions

#1 Post by Yankman30 »

Hi, I have three quotes for two different window brands. I'll be getting 18 windows, a combination of casements and double hung, and two sliding glass doors replaced. One used Slocomb 477 WindBlocker double-pane glass windows and I was told the casement windows' U-Factor is .21 for $17,000. Another used Gorell 5300 triple-pane glass windows with Energy Master III Low E glass with a u-Factor of .24 for $18,500. The last used Gorell 5300 triple-pane glass with Thermal Master III Low E glass with a U-Factor of .21 for $19,500.

I know Slocomb windows are made by Earthwise and use layers of both hard and soft coat Low E. Gorell was bought by Soft Lite but the warrenty is still for 50 years. Getting the lower U-Factor for the lower price seems like the way to go. Is there anything else I should consider? I feel comfortable that all the installers would do a good job. Are there windows just as good for less money? Has any had experience with Slocomb windows?

They're all vinyl windows and have filled frames, Gorell with foam and Slocomb with regular fiberglass insolation. I saw composite windows but the U-Factors are higher with the same glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. These decisions are very difficult so any input would help!

Thanks!

Joe

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Northern NJ replacement windows questions

#2 Post by masterext »

gorell is more epensive because its a better designed window than slocumb.. i do not like (either do most other pro's) a mixture of hard and soft coat lowE. you want all soft coat. slocumbs hard coat on surface 4 will DECREASE condensation resistance and it can scratch. " haze is also a potential problem with hard coat on surface 4.
i would also look at Okna , they will get a total UFactor of .25 on double pane and a .19 with triple pane argon. they can get a .15 with krypton. Okna is a very well desined window and you will find the pricing very close to slocumb and gorell.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I agree with masterext and would encourage you to get one more estimate - from him. He serves the NJ area, carries some of the best products in the industry, and deals honestly with his customers. There's a "Get a Quote" button under his name that will get you to him. I'm sure you'll find his product and installation superior to the ones you've looked at.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Masterext is your man. You'll be very impressed by his product as well as his professionalism.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. Masterext is your man. You'll be very impressed by his product as well as his professionalism.
This would be my vote and opinion as well.

Solid guy and crew.

Yankman30

#6 Post by Yankman30 »

I'll do that then, thanks.