Final Decision and Happy with it

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
xxnonamexx

Final Decision and Happy with it

#1 Post by xxnonamexx »

After much research and other quotes I decided to go with a company that manufacturers the window and installs using their own guys and not sub contracted like others. Platinum Series double hung vinyl Harvey windows are who they use lifetime warranty. The windows look solid and made stronger looking then the competitors and the price was very reasonable for 18 windows. Approx 415 a window. 5-6 weeks they should be made.

I like the fact they do not subcontract their workers, my friend has them for 3 years and they are excellent. The quality of window insulation etc is much better then the other guys. The u factor is .26. They actually make the window so it eliminates the middleman. The owners uncle owns Harvey and they make the entire window not prefabricate them like Tristate. I checked Angies list and they got excellent reviews. Compared to Window King it appears Window king sells windows similar to Ideal which are junk. These factors quality of installation is a huge plus as well as backing up their product and no fly by night window company.

HomeSealed

Re: Final Decision and Happy with it

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

It sounds like you probably didn't see any premium options, but Harvey is not a terrible choice. Which line is and glass package is that? I don't see "platinum" listed on their website, nor do I see a glass package with .26 u-value.
On the "employee vs subcontractor" issue, that is nothing more than a scare tactic used by some companies, as most have long term relationships with their subs, and know and trust them on a personal level just as they would an employee. I have and do use both, and I often find higher quality individuals prefer to be subs, as they generally get better pay as subs than as employees (= better workmanship). In fact, I previously installed as both an employee and a sub, and once I realized how much better the pay was as a sub, I never went back... and then I started my own retail company. :D Ultimately, a good installation company will provide excellent quality and stand behind it, regardless of how their installers are classified.
It sounds like you are very confident that you've made a good choice, so congrats. Be sure to post back your thoughts after the install.

xxnonamexx

Re: Final Decision and Happy with it

#3 Post by xxnonamexx »

I will let you know how the install goes in 5-6weeks. I appreciate all of the advice in these forums looking for windows etc. is like picking a paint color for a room lol. Just to clear any confusion I just needed to gut the single pane windows from my house and wanted something decent and at $415 a window I think I purchased a sufficient window. Out of the 5 recommended companies from Angie's List and friends this decision brought me within 2 companies and 1 company had no room to bargain and was a identical spec of window compared to Thermoseal the other 2 companies the windows were crap. Tri-State was the other competitor I was comparing to. I am not vowing that this company is the best at all but compared to the other 5 that I looked at it is as a whole. Again I appreciate all of the help. Thanks