Window install

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

Window install

#1 Post by tom77 »

I have been looking at this site for over three years with WOW and buddy as my favorites.
I have read over 1000 posts and here is my take on the window install.
Starmark, Okna,Sunrise,Serious Windows would be the top of the line. Gorell and Simonton
a step below and I no Simonton could be bought by the homeowner from the Distributor.
I do not no if any of the other manufactures that the homeowner could bye

As far as the install of the window, if it is measured right 1/2 inch gap top and bottom and side to side not much to fill in with low expanding foam, caulk. check the outside for gaps and cap

This would be on a double hung window in my case a replacement of existing vinyl
window that has two screws holding it in on each side of the window.

In my experience I have seen contractors charge customers retail price of the window plus installation of 100 to 200 a window so on a typical install.
The contractor gets his install price plus the difference between his cost price and the retail price. I have also seen homeowners see the invoice the contractor gets from the manufacturer of the cost of the window.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window install

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tom,

You don't need 1/2 cut back on all 4 sides. 1/8th inch cutback per side is just fine if the opening is relatively square.