Capping Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jzone2020

Capping Question

#1 Post by jzone2020 »

If you get aluminum capping over your wood windows, are you supposed to be able to see the nails? I know some are painted white. Is there way to do the capping w/o seeing the nails?

Thanks!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Capping Question

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The wrapping needs to be attached, but most installers will try to put the nails in areas that don't stand out, like on the side going into the window. Face nailing is not the norm and most everyone tries to avoid doing that.

jzone2020

#3 Post by jzone2020 »

If the company does face nailing ( i think they do), can you typically ask them to do it a different way? I have seen some recent capping from another company, and what stood out to me was the nails in each corner of the front of the capping, making a nice window look not as nice.
Last edited by jzone2020 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

It depends on the skill of the installer and on the individual installation circumstances as well, but generally most if not all nails can/should be hidden. There is nothing wrong with mentioning that to your salesperson or installer, as some guys will throw a face nail in normally, but would hide it upon request.

jzone2020

#5 Post by jzone2020 »

Thanks. I will make sure I tell them how I want it done. A relative of mine recently had Window World replace the windows all I can see when I look at them, are these big semi white nails on the face of the window. :shock:

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

jzone2020 wrote:Thanks. I will make sure I tell them how I want it done. A relative of mine recently had Window World replace the windows all I can see when I look at them, are these big semi white nails on the face of the window. :shock:
Generally the "bargain" variety installations are not going to go the extra mile on details like that. A quality-minded company will likely do it anyway, but again, a pleasantly worded request to your installers would not be out of line, just to be sure.

jzone2020

#7 Post by jzone2020 »

I am thinking a customer provided pizza lunch and maybe some side cash will get it done. :)

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Who can resist pizza? ...and throw in a couple bucks, fuhgeddaboudit! :lol: