Getting a quote on Monday......

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
maddog202067

Getting a quote on Monday......

#1 Post by maddog202067 »

Been trolling this board for quite some time. I have learned so much from you guys because a year ago I would have just either went to HD or had Window World do the work I need. Not now though. Just a little background on me I live in the Raleigh NC area and currently have all wood windows installed in a 14 yo home. My goal is to slowly convert all to vinyl. Well moving on, I have Sunrise rep coming tomorrow evening to give me a quote for a rotted out wood picture window in my kitchen bay. The bay has a solid picture in the middle and 1 double hung on each side. Just curious if there is anyone in these forums that live in the raleigh area who would consider helping me out? Also what type of price should I be looking at for a replacement? They say they are doing free installation special but as we all know nothing is free. The size of the window is approx 6'H by 4w. Thanks is advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Getting a quote on Monday......

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

MD,

Sorry but I don't know of anyone that far South.

You are miles ahead of the curve given what you have already said in your post. Stay the course and find a good contractor to trust with your home and you do just fine by your house.

maddog202067

#3 Post by maddog202067 »

Thanks WOW. How about pricing? Does anyone know what I should be paying for a sunrise window of this size?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is an even tougher one.

All of the contributors to this board are very straightforward with our pricing but that does not seem to be the norm out there.

Some folks cost of doing business is also different depending on their overhead.

I have seen Sunrise prices from mid-$500s for a Vanguard and up to $1,300 for the same window out a different dealer.

You are going to have to do some shopping to start getting numbers but if you are well informed, that will save you a bunch of heartache with all the smoke and mirrors selling tactics.

maddog202067

#5 Post by maddog202067 »

Ok don't laugh too hard. Guy from the company who sells Sunrise here just left. He gave me a quote on all 3 windows in the bay since they only do a minimum of 5 windows. But he made an 'exception'. So heres the quote for the 3 windows installed, so called free installation, $3700. That guy must be crazy. What do u guys think? This was for the restoration cause he stated that the essentials are basically for rental property or for ppl who dont plan on staying in their homes that long.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would tend to agree with him on his assessment and completely disagree with him on his pricing.

Obviously you found a guy that falls into camp 2 of the two that I referenced above.

Sorry to hear that.

I would check around for a Soft-Lite dealer as well.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Unless you have a very complicated install with large and fully optioned windows, and possibly all new exotic interior casings, that is brutal pricing. There will always be those in any industry that like to hit "walk off" home runs.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Is he doing a full tear out or just inserts? ... As the other guys have said, that seems awfully steep. It would have to be completely optioned out with a terribly complicated install to justify anywhere near that price, IMO.

maddog202067

#9 Post by maddog202067 »

The price was for inserts only. oh and I can't agree more with you guys. I ended up kicking him out of my house. by his pricing it would cost over $35000 to do my whole house. I was guessing in the area of 5-600 per window and that was on the high side since the 2 side windows are relatively small in size.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

You should be able to find something good in the price range that you specified. Keep looking. :)

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

maddog202067

#12 Post by maddog202067 »

so let me ask u this.......do u guys have any good recommendations for this in the raleigh area? Is there anyone on these boards in the raleigh area?

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would check through at least three sources.
Soft-lite...com, Sunrise...com, and Installation Masters
Thewindownerd.
Ask the sunrise rep for a different dealer.