Energex vs. Vinwinco - help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jzone2020

Energex vs. Vinwinco - help

#1 Post by jzone2020 »

Hello. I have been looking at 2 windows. Energex Elite with the "Advantage " glass (.27) versus Cambridge by Vinwinco (.29). I like both. The Cambridge has a single lock, turn and tilt system and a locking screen. The Energex Elite frame is a bit bigger and has a duo lock system that tilts and turns as well. The Energex window has some foam filled chambers which may not make a difference. Both are roughly the same price. Has anyone, consumer or contractor had experience with these windows? If so, what are your thoughts? I am leaning towards Energex.

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Energex vs. Vinwinco - help

#2 Post by masterext »

Viwinco is not a quality window. Energex definitely better.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

We are a dealer of the Energex Elite and it's one of several brands that I like to recommend. I've personally installed quite a few projects with them recently. First of all it's a very well designed and engineered window. Super strong frame with a .080" thickness to the vinyl extrusions. They utilized Super Space IG's from Guardian glass which is a much nicer option than that with Vinwinco which still uses tin plated Intercept spacing.

The Elite double-hungs have a AAMA certified .04 or .05 air leakage which is very good. The manufacturing tolerances are very tight and the welds are shaved cleaner than about 95% of most other vinyl windows. They have the magnetic bottom sash seal to the sill and 3-point weatherstripping on the sashes. BetterView screening and accidental glass breakage is standard. Composite non-metal meeting rail reinforcement is also standard on the double-hungs. The hardware is a premium grade from Ashland.

The Energex Elite crushes the Cambridge in every department.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I don't have personal experience with the Energex product, but the specs and design look very good. Definitely superior to the other option.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Mike
Does the Elite have a mortised sill wall?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yes, and it's very similar to the mortise sill of the LS/Element and DH800by OKNA. It's a real nice window. I'm not 100% sure if Deceunick is designing this series as a platform for manufacturers to "fill in the blanks" pertaining to glazing and hardware? Seems to be the case. The window is a little more finicky to square and get right than my LS, but so far so good.

masterext

#7 Post by masterext »

Does the DH have foam or fiber glass?
What kind of tilt latches?
How is their casement

jzone2020

#8 Post by jzone2020 »

I have moved ahead with the Energex Elite frame, using the Advantage model glass (.24 u value for elite and .27 u value for Advantage) to fit into my budget. I really appreciate your input. I have done a ton of research, asked questions, got referrals, used the window coeffiecient website, etc. I really have alot of respect for the jobs that you guys do. This has been quite an education and even now, I am still a novice. Let's hope they do a good installation and capping. :mrgreen:

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

EPS foam inserts. It has the nicer Ashland tilt latches found in the Simonton 5500 which are a little nicer than that of the 5050 and not as problematic as that of the 9800. Vista Panorama utilizes the same ones too.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

jzone2020 wrote:I have moved ahead with the Energex Elite frame, using the Advantage model glass (.24 u value for elite and .27 u value for Advantage) to fit into my budget. I really appreciate your input. I have done a ton of research, asked questions, got referrals, used the window coeffiecient website, etc. I really have alot of respect for the jobs that you guys do. This has been quite an education and even now, I am still a novice. Let's hope they do a good installation and capping. :mrgreen:
Sounds like a good choice. Be sure to post back with the results. :)

jzone2020

#11 Post by jzone2020 »

I will. They should be in sometime in May.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

Mike
What kind of Ufactor are you getting with the DH ?

jzone2020

#13 Post by jzone2020 »

masterext wrote:Viwinco is not a quality window. Energex definitely better.

Though I made my decision on the Energex, why do you say Vinwinco is not a good window?

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

We are seeing with the standard soft-coat low-e argon package with a double-glazed configuration a .27 overall u-factor which is on par with the Imperial LS. This would be for a double hung unit. It's a Guardian glass package, thus they can do all types of tweaking with those interior surface hard coats to get to a .24 or even .22. The .24 IS option is a hard coat that doesn't need any special requirements for cleaning like some that can be damaged with typical cleaners. I've only done one install with this option as a trial run. Interior condensation is a concern of mine so I want to see a first hand 360 day period pass with no problems before I consider offering it more. Every house is different too, so who knows?

I still love the Vanguards, Imperial LS/Elements, and the OKNA/HiMark products and show them to all of my customers. The Energex units seem to fit nicely into that mix. Each window has it's own unique features. I've found so far that if folks are looking to preserve glass that they love the Sunrise. I've they love a great value and want a long term "in the business" track record, they like the Imperial LS. If they are shopping with a very limited budget and aren't too worried about a newer line from a new manufacturer, they consider the Energex lines. If they want the best performance rated products combined with elegance and local manufacturing (for me), they like the OKNA 800.

I don't feel that a ViWinco product is on par that I mentioned above. It's a contractor's grade window designed at a low price point, which means lower grade components and performance.

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

mike, that window looks as if its right up there ( quality and looks wise) with the top three. i was told it could also come with the lock/ tilt feature.