replacement windows in Austin, am I missing anything?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
88skisupreme

replacement windows in Austin, am I missing anything?

#1 Post by 88skisupreme »

I'm replacing 7 old aluminum windows.
3 36"x72"
2 32"x72" (twin windows in one opening)
1 72"x36" slider
1 72"x48" slider

I got three bids from local window companies that I found on Yelp. They all said they have their own installation crew on salary, all had outstanding reviews online, with the BBB, etc. I met really nice people who repectfully explained their company and products, gave me a bid and left me to decide. No high pressure sales pitch, repeated phone calls, last minute sales.

All bids were for loE 366 Argon filled glass. I'm convinced that single hung is fine in central texas and don't think that double hung is worth the extra cash, I live in a fairly modest neighborhood.

1st bid was for single hung windows from Burris: $3928
2nd bid was for Simonton 5500's: $5900 they said simonton didnt offer single hung
3rd bid was for Simonton ProFinish Contractors single hung $3653 they told me Simonton ProFinish can be installed retrofit but its only marketed to builders.

I liked the 3rd company best, luckily the had the best price too. I figured I would get charged for upgrades, reading this board has given me just enough info to be dangerous. What about sash reinforcements and the superspacer? I was told that they included the superspacer and any needed reinforcements already.

I know there are many factors to window replacements, just checking to see if I'm missing something obvious.
thanks

randy

Re: replacement windows in Austin, am I missing anything?

#2 Post by randy »

Installation. Did any of them provide you with details about their installation procedures? Do they just caulk the windows in, or do they use a minimal expanding foam to ensure an air/water tight fit?

How long do you intend to stay in the home?

Are you buying white windows or tan windows? Grids or no grids?

88skisupreme

#3 Post by 88skisupreme »

Going with white windows, that might actually bring the price down slightly, they quoted tan and white is 10% cheaper. No grids.

Probably moving in another year or two.

One of the guys who came my house was an installer and I got the most detailed install info from them (of the three bids). They will cut back the drywall since the new windows are slightly thicker. I'll ask about the foam, the literature they left says they apply additional insulation; it also includes a full sheet on the weathermaster caulk they use. I'm guessing you reccomend the minmal expanding foam?
It says their sealant meet or exceed AAMA 800-92 and ASTM E 2112 specs.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

88skisupreme wrote:
just checking to see if I'm missing something obvious.
thanks
88, what you are missing is a quote from Randy. You simply won't find a more knowledgeable or ethical guy in Austin, and you are truly doing yourself a disservice if you don't contact him for a quote. Better product than what you've seen, and best installation practices.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I too would suggest that you talk with Randy.
Has great products, great installers, and is trustworth exceptional man.
If you shoot straight with him on your budget he will be able to tell exactly what you can get for your money.
In his case you get what you pay for.
thewindownerd.