First time window buyer

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Trip D

First time window buyer

#1 Post by Trip D »

Hello everyone. I like in Western KY and am in the process of buying new windows for my 50 year old house. Far as I can tell, the originals are still in. I got quotes from Lowes and Home Depot. The quotes were for Pella ThermaStar (lowes) and EnergyStar (home depot). Those are roughly in my budget, although I could go a little more. Are there better windows in the same price range? Easy to install? I have a friend who works for a contractor that's going to help me do it. Any info would help me. Or, if anyone knows a good "window guy" in my area. Thanks!

Trip D

Re: First time window buyer

#2 Post by Trip D »

I know those are not the best windows, but I'm a poor student! I have 15 windows to replace BTW. Thx.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Check with the local building supply houses as well. The Simonton option from Home Depot isn't bad nor is the upper level Silverline. Stay far, far away from Pella vinyl.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Are you installing these yourself? Ply-Gem's top of the line window sold at lowes is probally one of the better ones, i would take the Reliabilt series or the lower quality Ply-Gems after that then Silverline 9500/8500 series then afer that it gets ugly. Keep in mind some of the Ply-gems they sell in different markets are different windows,I think that goes for the Reliabilt as well. What size and how much are the windows?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Are you installing these yourself? Ply-Gem's top of the line window sold at lowes is probally one of the better ones, i would take the Reliabilt series or the lower quality Ply-Gems after that then Silverline 9500/8500 series then afer that it gets ugly. Keep in mind some of the Ply-gems they sell in different markets are different windows,I think that goes for the Reliabilt as well. What size and how much are the windows?
Todd,

What do they sell that Plygem under? I wonder if it is more regional.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Lowes sells them under Ply-Gem.
My supplier sell them under Mastic even though it says Ply-Gem at the bottom of every page in my price book.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Lowes does indeed sell the old Great Lakes line as Plygem, although it is special order only (and regional). The upper end Simonton and Plygem offerings are on par with each other, and the only product that I'd consider through the "big boxes". I would only go through them for DIY though, the "installed sales" leave much to be desired.

Trip D

#8 Post by Trip D »

toddinmn wrote:Are you installing these yourself? Ply-Gem's top of the line window sold at lowes is probally one of the better ones, i would take the Reliabilt series or the lower quality Ply-Gems after that then Silverline 9500/8500 series then afer that it gets ugly. Keep in mind some of the Ply-gems they sell in different markets are different windows,I think that goes for the Reliabilt as well. What size and how much are the windows?
I have a friend that does home repair that is going to help me install them. I'm trying to roughly stay in the same price range (both quotes were around 3500 after tax for 15 windows, not counting installation. I just don't have a whole lot more than that to put into the project and it needs to be done). They are all custom sizes and not very many, even the ones that are side-by-side, are the same size.

Trip D

#9 Post by Trip D »

HomeSealed wrote:Lowes does indeed sell the old Great Lakes line as Plygem, although it is special order only (and regional). The upper end Simonton and Plygem offerings are on par with each other, and the only product that I'd consider through the "big boxes". I would only go through them for DIY though, the "installed sales" leave much to be desired.
I guess all of mine are special order anyway. There wasn't a single one on the shelf that was the right size.

Can any of you guys guess as to the price difference between what I ordered and what you're suggesting? If it's double or something like that, I just can't afford it.

And, many thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate your help!

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

It depends where you buy them from and what options you choose. I can say that I pay less for a Himark 500 than I do for a Simonton or Plygem, and it is a better window. Price could range anywhere from the average that you are at, all the way up to $500 or more. It really just depends.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

A white Ply-Gem Premium series/3800 series DH measuring 30x62 with standard low-e would run $250. This comes standard with interforce fiberglass reinforced sash meeting rails and foam filled frame. It has a DP-50 rating and U- factor of .30.And of course they have sales and rebates frequently. The book I have is for the East region.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

I wouldnt touch anything by silverline. The plygem premium is a good mid grade window. After tax and grids its about $298 for just the window.

Trip D

#13 Post by Trip D »

Well, thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I'll see if I can find a dealer down here that sells some of those and go from there.

Trip D

#14 Post by Trip D »

Looks like there are some dealers in my area, although they are about 70 miles away....