Interceptor versus Superspacer

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jaymazz

Interceptor versus Superspacer

#1 Post by jaymazz »

Hi, I am new to this forum, however have been reading the posts for several weeks and find it very informational. I am currently researching replacements windows for my home. I agree based on my research that both Soft-Lite and Gorell make an outstanding window.

I live in Central New Jersey and am looking to replace windows, 18 double hung and one glass slider door. I am interested in triple pane with preferably krypton gas. Soft-Lite was my first choice however I am trying to match the interior stain of my trim and as such soft-lite isn't close. The Gorell however does have a color very similar to my trim, however the one thing I have read is that the Gorell line has the interceptor spacer. I have read the potential issues and design flaws with a metal spacer, however I am not sure if the Interceptor addresses these issues and therefore is good.

I would be very interested to know from the experts here as to whether the Interceptor is a good choice and if even Gorell has an option to upgrade to the Superspacer?

Also, is the sill on Gorell a pocket sill or slant?

I have a quote from New Jersey Siding & Windows for $19,100. They seem like a very reputable company, however if anyone has any opinions on them in terms of workmanship along with whether the price is fair, I would appreciate it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Interceptor versus Superspacer

#2 Post by masterext »

i like a non metal spacer. ive been using non metal spacers for years with great success.
intercept isnt bad, its just that there are better/ newer alternatives that render much better performance numbers.
there are some other brands that get better performance numbers with argon than what some do with krypton.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

See below in bold....
jaymazz wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum, however have been reading the posts for several weeks and find it very informational. I am currently researching replacements windows for my home. I agree based on my research that both Soft-Lite and Gorell make an outstanding window.

Soft-Lite and Gorell are now the same entity. While the Gorell model window is nice, I don't think it stacks up to well to the upper level Soft-Lite windows (i.e. Imperial LS or Elements).

I live in Central New Jersey and am looking to replace windows, 18 double hung and one glass slider door. I am interested in triple pane with preferably krypton gas. Soft-Lite was my first choice however I am trying to match the interior stain of my trim and as such soft-lite isn't close. The Gorell however does have a color very similar to my trim, however the one thing I have read is that the Gorell line has the interceptor spacer. I have read the potential issues and design flaws with a metal spacer, however I am not sure if the Interceptor addresses these issues and therefore is good.

Why triple pane krypton? Krypton is egregiously expensive right now (roughly 30X more expensive than argon) and does drive up the unit price quite a bit. You can get several windows in a triple pane argon that with have a true R-5 (U-Factor = 0.20) performance.

The metal spacer you are referring to is the Intercept, not Interceptor. Interceptor was Mel Gibson's sweet car in Mad Max. :D

Nothing wrong with the Intercept design or performance but you are right in that two window, equally outfitted on all levels except the spacer, will demonstrate that the non-metallic spacer will out perform the metallic spacer equip window both thermally and condensation resistance.

I would be very interested to know from the experts here as to whether the Interceptor is a good choice and if even Gorell has an option to upgrade to the Superspacer?

Intercept spacer is fine but Superspacer is a nice upgrade.

Also, is the sill on Gorell a pocket sill or slant?

I think they are all sloped sill

I have a quote from New Jersey Siding & Windows for $19,100. They seem like a very reputable company, however if anyone has any opinions on them in terms of workmanship along with whether the price is fair, I would appreciate it.

Can't say that I know them personally but I do know of a company in NJ that is well regarded. You can click on "masterext's" name via the web board and get in direct touch with him. I actually just sent one of my customer's sisters right to him and she was very happy with the presentation and the product.

Paul (aka masterext) has the best products on the market and a very fair approach to the entire process.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5451

jaymazz

#4 Post by jaymazz »

Thanks for the info. I am considering the krypton gas because I felt it gives overall better NFRC numbers. When I priced out the triple pane argon gas for the Simonton model (I believe 6500 series) that Home Depot sells they were actually higher in price than the Soft-Lite Elements window with krypton gas which had overall better values.

What other high quality windows should I consider then in terms of a triple pane with Superspacer, vinyl that has choices of wood grain effect and has u values in and around .19 or .20 regardless of whether argon or krypton.

Thanks for the referral, I left him a message.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

jaymazz wrote:Thanks for the info. I am considering the krypton gas because I felt it gives overall better NFRC numbers. When I priced out the triple pane argon gas for the Simonton model (I believe 6500 series) that Home Depot sells they were actually higher in price than the Soft-Lite Elements window with krypton gas which had overall better values.

What other high quality windows should I consider then in terms of a triple pane with Superspacer, vinyl that has choices of wood grain effect and has u values in and around .19 or .20 regardless of whether argon or krypton.

Thanks for the referral, I left him a message.
Krypton will offer superior performance in a triple pane window as compared to argon but you need to compare total unit U-Factors from brand to brand.

There are windows out there with a U-Factor of 0.19 in triple pane argon whereas some windows with triple pane krypton may not get that same performance. It is all about the window performance and design.

Make sure you look critically at the other aspects of performance such as structural numbers and visible light in conjunction with the U-factor data.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There are products that get .19-.20 with triple pane + argon. The upper end Softlite's that you've seen, along with HiMark, Sunrise, and Energex Elite (Affinity) should be right there as well. Argon will defnitely be the best bang for the buck, and in the higher end models like those mentioned, it puts you at the R5 threshold which is where the "standard" of thermal performance will be in a few years. I'd definitely talk to Paul (masterext) in your location. Great guy. :D

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Contacting "masterext" would be highly recommended. Several of his lines come standard with state of the art non-metal spacing that you are considering. How about WOW busting out with the Mad Max reference! Toe Cutter!!!!!! I remember sitting in front of a wood console TV wishing I was old enough to see that movie when it came out in the late 70's.

jaymazz

#8 Post by jaymazz »

Thanks all for your comments. At the end of the day, I decided to go with the Soft-Lite Elements window in the light oak interior finish with the Ultimate Glass package being triple pane Low E with Krypton gas.

My initial reservation was the wood grain color matching my existing trim, however the rep brought out a larger sample and it goes well with my trim.

I am sure in the end, I will be very happy with my purchase as I feel it's a superior quality window based on AAMA and NFRC ratings compared to others. Yes, it's not a cheap window by any means but I truly believe you get what you pay for.

I also am going with New Jersey Siding and Windows as the installer. First there are very few dealer/installers that sell this window in NJ and they were referred to me by Soft-Lite. I felt very comfortable with them in terms of their knowledge on the product as well as the process for installation.

I'll keep you posted however on the final results once installed. Thanks again!!! :D

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Let us know how your appt with masterext goes.

You are going to love the 800 series with the optional hardware. That window is a stunner and when you figure that it gives you all the performance (air infiltration, structure, and thermal) of the Elements, with a little more viewable glass, its a win, win, win.