Soft-lite imperial LS window quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bpl

Soft-lite imperial LS window quote

#1 Post by bpl »

28 double hung windows:

$450 per window
addition of superspacer and solarban low E is an extra $50 per window.

It seems to me that the cost per window is reasonable with what I have been able to gather from this site, but is the additonal cost of the superspacer and solarban low e worth the cost?

If it matters, I live in texas where heat and wind are the biggest factors.

Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Soft-lite imperial LS window quote

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You need the solar ban.
Maybe you can do S intercept for a tiny bit of cost savings.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

There happens to be a pro that frequents this board who i think may serve your area. He is not only a true professional but also a great guy. His board name is "Randy". You can search his name and click his contact button.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If I were Texas, Randy would be my guy.

I have used one of the installers that he knows on my Aunt's home in Dallas and she was thrilled.

He can be found right here in this thread and contacted if he covers your area: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5452

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Assuming that is the price "installed" , it is extremely aggressive for that product. So low that I might be slightly concerned, even for a fairly basic installation. Contacting Randy would definitely be worthwhile, as even the best window installed poorly will not perform well. I believe that he covers Houston and DFW and offers Softlite as well, and another board pro named Anthony also has some coverage in DFW.

bpl

#6 Post by bpl »

Price includes installation and disposal of old windows.

bpl

#7 Post by bpl »

Also, I am planning to talk to their installer, who has supposedly installed windows for 30 years, to ask how exactly he installs windows. On this site I have read about spray foam, fiberglass etc. One gentleman who gave me a quote told me that his brand of windows fit so tight that nothing else was needed. On the Imperial LS quote the only thing that is mentioned is "insulation foam where needed." Should I be looking for specific details when talking to him that will let me know whether he is a good installer or not? They told me they have references available for me if I would like to check them. They are only going to provide rec's from happy customers so I don't see that being too valuable.

Thanks for your time.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I would ask where he typically does not need foam. Does that price include wrapping the exterior trim in coil?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There is very litle capping/wrapping in TX.
Most openings are masonery and are measured to fit and be caulked only.
That is one reason why prices there are cheaper.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

bpl wrote:Also, I am planning to talk to their installer, who has supposedly installed windows for 30 years, to ask how exactly he installs windows. On this site I have read about spray foam, fiberglass etc. One gentleman who gave me a quote told me that his brand of windows fit so tight that nothing else was needed. On the Imperial LS quote the only thing that is mentioned is "insulation foam where needed." Should I be looking for specific details when talking to him that will let me know whether he is a good installer or not? They told me they have references available for me if I would like to check them. They are only going to provide rec's from happy customers so I don't see that being too valuable.

Thanks for your time.
That is a red flag IMO. Very few window openings are square, so the new window should generally have 1/8-1/4" gap all the way around. Some windows come with a foam wrap on the frame, but that does not provide sufficient insulation IMO. There are some cases where everything just works great and foam wouldn't even fit, but the gap would still be caulked... I know plenty of "old dogs" that may have 35 yrs of experience but are total hacks.
On saying that "his brand" of windows don't need foam, that is nonsense. The fitment of a window will be based 100% on sizing, 0% on "brand" or type.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Foam is a must and I assure that there aren't many openings that will be that "square" where they will require just sealant.

Also, sealing the exterior of the window to the brick is not a proper air seal given that the brick veneer is vented.

The window needs to be sealed between the framing and the window. If the gap is tight, regular sealant is okay but if the gap is any larger than 1/8th of an inch, foam is not only easier, but preferred.

bpl

#12 Post by bpl »

Hey, WOW.

I have read a lot of your posts. How about you come down and install my windows :D ?

Thanks for contributing.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

bpl wrote:Hey, WOW.

I have read a lot of your posts. How about you come down and install my windows :D ?

Thanks for contributing.

Ha ha! :lol:

I might wind up in Texas one of these days after all.

randy

#14 Post by randy »

Doesn't everybody wish they lived in Texas? :lol:

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have enough family down there it would be a nice transition.

Thinking about opening a shop in Houston.... :lol: