Price for triple-pane worth it?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
J-Windows

Price for triple-pane worth it?

#1 Post by J-Windows »

A couple previous offers had the "Free triple pane upgrade" which I have found out is a special promotion from soft-lite only to certain high-volume soft-lite dealers, and is not given to all dealers.

So for the non-free upgrades, for 18 frames/29 windows, the quotes are all around 1200$ for a triple-pane upgrade (that price may include the 2 patio doors, if patio doors can be made triple-pane)

Is that worth it?

Any idea how much going from 0.26 to 0.20 is going to affect my (primarily) heating and cooling bills? Even if triple pane saved 10$ a month it would take 10 years to break even. There may be other benefits as well.

Reasons not to:
- Price
- Reduced visibility (not too bad if stay with argon)
- Reduced UV (for plants, and also if you [or your cats] like to feel the "heat" of the sunbeam)

Reasons to:
- Improved specs
- 2 sides with low-e coating
- Less UV if desired.

I'm not sure either way.

HomeSealed

Re: Price for triple-pane worth it?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

At $1200 for 29 units that averages about $40 per unit. That is a great price and I'd go with it. You are getting an R5 window which is where the industry and energy star is headed in the next few years as the standard.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Your plants will be fine. And, the triple from Softlite doesn't tint the windows dark like some triple I've seen from certain brands does. I'm sure you'll love it from both a comfort and aesthetic standpoint.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

We are going to be transitioning to lead with triple pane in the future as well.

It is a good investment and worth the extra outlay of expense in most cases.