12 year update on the Silverline (Anderson) 8000-8500 series

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmcfly

12 year update on the Silverline (Anderson) 8000-8500 series

#1 Post by jmcfly »

12 year update on the Silverline 8000-8500 series. We built a new house in 2000 and asked the local window distributer for the windows he would use in his house. He stated that the Silverline windows were the best on the market and came with a lifetime warranty. So, we placed the order for 28 new windows. These were ordered with all of the bells and whistles. Double hung, Low-E, Argon filled, and internal grates. When the windows shipped they were nothing more than replacement windows with nailing fins attached to the frame.
After the first 5 years most of the sashes were replaced for one reason or another. The biggest issue was they used a rubber seal between the panes of glass to keep the argon gas in failed under fluctuating hot and cold weather as we get here in New Jersey. When this seal fails the argon escapes and the glass quickly becomes visually streaky because the Low-E film sticks to the glass. The second issue is the plastic clips that keep the windows in the track have become brittle and have been breaking.
By year 10 the majority of the sashes have failed and have been replaced under warranty. The main problem is that they will not replace the upper and lower sashes in pairs. They will only replace the unit that failed. When the new sash’s were delivered they never matches the original sash. Now we have issues with air gaps and upper sashes that don’t stay up when the windows are opened. Now every time we open a window the upper sash creeps down and the bugs are free to enter the house freely. Lower screen only, no full length screens were available for these windows. I’ve resorted to using white vinyl tape to keep the upper sash in place and keeping the air out.
I called customer service regarding this situation and I was told that since Anderson bought Silverline they had no ability to accurately match up the sash dimensions exactly. I requested that they replace the sashes in pairs and they said this is not covered in the warranty. At year 12, I give up! I’m looking to replace all of the windows in the house (again). I guess the “lifetime” warranty really isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. I’d crumple it up and throw it out the window, but I can’t open the windows anymore! (Or see out of them either!!!) :cry:

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: 12 year update on the Silverline (Anderson) 8000-8500 series

#2 Post by masterext »

Silverline are known to be one of the lowest quality windows available..there are plenty of higher end vinyl windows but silverline is not one of them. unfortunately many contractors install the cheapest windows they can find because they know uninformed homeowners only care about price. Anderson ( Silverline) are primarilymused in rental properties or house flipping. they are also very cheap looking and the quality of the actual vinyl material is very low.
Pella also make a lower grade vinyl as does MI Windows..very poor quality.
this is why Pro's always say " cheap windows are always more expensive than higher quality windows" .. you save money initially but wind up spending a heck of alot more when your cheaper windows need to be ripped out and replaced with quality.
by the way, american craftsman at home depot is a silverline window.

higher end windows we consistently recommend are sunrise , himark, okna. gorell, soft lite . our recommendation is based on design/ engineering, looks, energy efficiency, and structural performance.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

This is very unfortunate.

Hopefully your story will serve as a learning experience for future consumers who do their research.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:This is very unfortunate.

Hopefully your story will serve as a learning experience for future consumers who do their research.
My thoughts exactly... 12 yrs is actually not too bad for a builder grade window.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I would try getting the number for the local rep. or maybe contact the distributor . Sometimes dealing with a big company directly you'll get lost in the shuffle.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:I would try getting the number for the local rep. or maybe contact the distributor . Sometimes dealing with a big company directly you'll get lost in the shuffle.
Based on the fact that the OP received replacement sashes "on demand", I'm guessing that he/she was not "lost in the shuffle", but rather a victim of choosing a questionable product.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Just suggesting another avenue to try. In my experience it would be beneficial to have someone who knows and understands the problems vs having some office person just sending out parts. The latches are about 30 second fix and the sashes could be ordered giving tip to tip measurements.