TrustGard / Earthwise / Sunrise windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Razzafrazza

TrustGard / Earthwise / Sunrise windows?

#1 Post by Razzafrazza »

Hello!

I'm a first-time homebuyer who is looking to replace 12 DH and 1 picture window (all the windows in the house). The house is worth @ $110k.

I got quotes from about seven window people, and I am looking at these 3 window brands for roughly the same price (within $200) of $3600.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide about the comparable quality of these three window lines.

----Vinyl-Design "Trustgard"

----Earthwise

----Sunrise Windows' Essentials: http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.co ... ouble-hung

Thanks in advance for your help!

thermal99

Re: TrustGard / Earthwise / Sunrise windows?

#2 Post by thermal99 »

how you are getting 13 windows for $3600 is a mystery to me; do they contain glass? a good window will be almost double that price... unless you plan on changing the windows again in a year or 2,you better be very careful here.

hgoodmanvfd

#3 Post by hgoodmanvfd »

All three windows are good. $275.00 per window is a very good price. I'm sure they come with glass...The contractor is working close. I like Trustgard for the visual appeal.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've only performed one install with the Essentials from Sunrise. I'm not a fan of that series. You get what you pay for with that product. I had to place about six shims in the jambs just to get the top sash from falling down. Anything else from Sunrise would be fine

Are you getting capping with your installation? The Trustgards that I've seen from NorthEast Bld. Products are in the "blue white" vinyl color. Make sure your contractor caps them with a matching "window white" color if he is using PVC coated aluminum trim coil.

sabrefan

#5 Post by sabrefan »

Is Sunrise Essentials the same as the "standard" Sunrise window? Through this forum, I have read about the Vanguard, Restorations, and "standard" models. The contractor in my area carries the "standard" model - non reinforced sash, but still foam filled. This is the window I am leaning toward, but now I am starting to question my decision.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

No, the Essentials series is a completely different window than the regular Sunrise window. It's a price or drop window for certain dealers that have been either losing some deals as the regular Sunrise window might be above some homeowner's budgets, or selling other brands of windows that costs the dealer less than the Sunrise window.

It has a different balance system, sashes, and locks just to name a few of the differences. The glass is the same in a double configuration. You should be fine with the regular Sunrise window. I've installed thousands of them and have had virtually no call backs on any type of warranty issues. On really large openings (double hung) that are especially wide, I tend to like a vinyl product that has a stronger engineered sill than the Sunrise window, but that's just me being fussy.

sabrefan

#7 Post by sabrefan »

Thanks again for this information. Just a quick followup... My Sunrise quote came in very low, around $380 per DH w/ the ultra u plus glass package. This includes the outside wrap, but no other options. All my windows are fairly small. The contractor is the company owner with only one or two other employees, so I am assuming that this is how he kept the quote so low. Still makes me a little nervous though. How can I be sure that I am ordering the "standard" Sunrise and not the less expensive Essentials model. Is there any identifying information I can ask about, rather than just a name? Maybe I am just being overly paranoid?

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

What brochure where you left with? The regulare Sunrise window will have recessed French locks and very attractive interior contoured glazing beads. The Essentials series will have standard top mounted single lock (unless dealer orders 2 locks) and will be glazed from the exterior. The brochure from the Essentials is totally different than all of the other products from Sunrise. Each series has it's own brochure. The good ol' regular series from Sunrise will simply say "Sunrise Windows" and will be either white or green in color.

sabrefan

#9 Post by sabrefan »

I have the green Sunrise brochure... thank you again for answering all of my questions.

Rw29

#10 Post by Rw29 »

I am window shopping now and am trying to figure out which Sunrise quote I am getting. Right now, I only have the brochure while I am awaiting the written quote. The quote is going to be about $570/window, installed.

The brochure I have is cream on top / green in the bottom, and says "Sunrise Windows" - "The Difference is Clear".

Any idea which window that sounds like and is it any good? I want to go with it based on the good Sunshine reviews, but based on the comments here, I am concerned. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Should be the standard/regular Sunrise series. The essentials is is only a page or two and is clearly marked Essentials.

Rw29

#12 Post by Rw29 »

Great, thanks so much! That is a relief to hear.

Del Mike - we are in the same geographic area. Does $570 sound about right to you (double hung, grid, etc.) - and is it a good choice?

The others I have looked at Alside Excalibur (horrible reviews on window discussion boards), Okna 800 series, Renewal by Anderson (ugh!), a Marvin Window for $1100/window, and now this Sunrise for $570. Seems to get the best reviews and the best price (close in reviews to Okna - but I wasn't thrilled with the look of that window and that would be at least $200 more/window).

All advice appreciated. Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

the alside excalibur is a very low grade window..not something i would ever providemto my customers.
i would hit delaware mikes contact button and see if he servesnyour area..he is a great guy and a true professional.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Sunrise and Okna are your two choices. You probably want to look at an Okna 400 or 500 series though to compare apples to apples. The Sunrise Restorations would be closer to the 800 offering.... I'm surprised to hear your comment on the 800's looks. Generally we hear nothing but positive feedback in that regard. The 400 and 500 have a more "conventional" vinyl window look, so perhaps they'd be what you are looking for in that area as well. On price, there are a bunch of factors that will go into it, but at $570 per window you are well within the range of reason for a good product.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Sunrise and Okna are your two choices. You probably want to look at an Okna 400 or 500 series though to compare apples to apples. The Sunrise Restorations would be closer to the 800 offering.... I'm surprised to hear your comment on the 800's looks. Generally we hear nothing but positive feedback in that regard. The 400 and 500 have a more "conventional" vinyl window look, so perhaps they'd be what you are looking for in that area as well. On price, there are a bunch of factors that will go into it, but at $570 per window you are well within the range of reason for a good product.
+1

We do have some folks that are not huge fans of the 800 but the 500 is more traditional vinyl window looking with nice slim lines like the Sunrise.