First time window buyer -Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mcomin

First time window buyer -Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

#1 Post by mcomin »

Hello,

I am in the process of buying vinyl replacement windows for my home.
I have narrowed the choices between a highly recommended contractor who uses Pella 350 series windows and Gilkey Windows.

The contractor quoted me $1500 less than Gilkey.

I have heard mixed reviews on Pella and have not been able to find much information about Gilkey.

Any help or suggestions is very appreciated.

Thank you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: First time window buyer -Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

#2 Post by masterext »

i am not a fan of Gilkey due to them utilizing a pocket sill design. pocket sills are not only terribly outdated, but also a very flawed design.
most pro's arent fond of pella vinyl.. they are just not well designed. if you are searching for a high quality window that not only looks very nice, is much more energy efficient than any wood wimdow, and is better structurally than a wood window, i would look at HiMark, okna, soft lite..
also, there is a pro who frequents this board who goes by the name " windows4u ". he is not only one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, but also a consumate professional who offers a variety of brands. i would strongly suggest doing a board search of his name and clicking his contact button.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:i am not a fan of Gilkey due to them utilizing a pocket sill design. pocket sills are not only terribly outdated, but also a very flawed design.
most pro's arent fond of pella vinyl.. they are just not well designed. if you are searching for a high quality window that not only looks very nice, is much more energy efficient than any wood wimdow, and is better structurally than a wood window, i would look at HiMark, okna, soft lite..
also, there is a pro who frequents this board who goes by the name " windows4u ". he is not only one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, but also a consumate professional who offers a variety of brands. i would strongly suggest doing a board search of his name and clicking his contact button.
+1 on all counts. Window4U is an good, honest guy that offers several top tier products. I've personally referred several people to him being right up the road in Milwaukee. :D

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2

Don't like the pocket aspect and you do need to talk with Dave (i.e. Window4U) before you make any decision.

You can find him here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5500

and the reviews from customers on this board of his services are second to none.

mcomin

#5 Post by mcomin »

Thank you so much for the feed back. I was not finding rave reviews for Pella which was quite a surprise given their reputation.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

mcomin wrote:Thank you so much for the feed back. I was not finding rave reviews for Pella which was quite a surprise given their reputation.
Don't confuse reputation with marketing presence.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Right. If Pella was half as good at manufacturing windows as they are at marketing their windows, they'd have the market cornered.