Installation question...windows being installed as we speak

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bpl

Installation question...windows being installed as we speak

#1 Post by bpl »

I am having new windows installed as we speak. I did my homework and bought imperial ls windows from what I think is a reputable dealer who has used the same installer for over 20 years. I was told that they would be installed with the foam filler around the edges; however, after half of my windows have been installed, foam has not been used on one window because the windows "fit so well." I am not happy about this because it was my understanding that this is a necessary step. I thought I would step back, stay cool, and consult some more knowledgeable friends before raising this issue with them. Most of the house is brick if that matters. Thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: Installation question...windows being installed as we speak

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Bpl, in some cases the windows may fit so tightly that foam cannot be used. In these cases, caulking the small gap will be adequate and as effective. Ultimately, your main concern is that the opening is sealed, so if you've hired a good installation company, they may use their discretion if deviation from "normal" procedures is necessary.
Based on your description, there is no cause for alarm at this point. :)

bpl

#3 Post by bpl »

Thanks. They are using the silicone around the edges so it looks nice but I live in a very windy area and had problems with dirt blowing in and around the other windows, which is the reason I am replacing them. I don't want to spend the money and have the same problem.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

If there isnt a large enough gap around the window foam will not fit. In that case caulk is fine. Also, this is where the perimeter foam wrap that comes witth the window comes into play.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I don't think I had an instance where every window on a job was to tight where I could not use foam on at least some of them. It is common for me to foam and caulk on same window but not to caulk only. Foam can be applied into a pretty small gap.That being said I doubt it would make much difference.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sometimes we can only foam the sill.
Sometimes if the window comes with foam wrap it makes it hard to impossible to foam sides and tops.
As Homesealed said the key, and your pointed concern, is that the window be sealed.
Sounds like they are doing a good job of that.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If the gap is tight and consistent, it can be filled with just sealant.