Baywindow Install - Some Advice??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PhillyFlyers74

Baywindow Install - Some Advice??

#1 Post by PhillyFlyers74 »

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask for some expert advice on what you all think of this install of the bay window? (2 pieces)
(this is the 2nd time replacing the window, because it was leaking into the house near the bottom, previous owner had it replaced from the original window back in '07)

We purchased from HD and had them do the install, through their contracted company. The previous installer (Thompson Creek Windows) I assume made that arch piece, as this company with HD said they can't make that, so they left it in place and installed the new windows from the inside.

They made the vertical capping quite large, and as you can see in the pictures they did not try to make it flush with the arch capping, so they just butted it together and caulked it over. It looks hideous those two big intersections that are way diff. offset from the brick molding underneath.

We complained and they are 'maybe' going to fix it, but I'm sure they are capable.

1) Anyone have any thoughts on how that upper arch part is made? I see it's two pieces, but it's definitely aluminum capping, and was painted in that white 'wood grain' same as the rest of the capping around the house when the windows were done in '07.

2) We had them remove the one vertical piece, so I took pics while it's off. Is that normal to cut holes in the horizontal piece to sit the verticals in? shouldn't that horizontal just be solid and the verticals just install over it?

I would think this is just asking for water over time to seap in and rot that header over the door under the window?

Not to mention the horrible caulk job that is just a sloppy mess... both from this installer and the previous crew back in '07..
Attachments
20240311_152852.jpg
(142.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20240311_152856.jpg
(170.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20240311_152902.jpg
(188.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet

PhillyFlyers74

Re: Baywindow Install - Some Advice??

#2 Post by PhillyFlyers74 »

pics I couldn't put on the first post:
Attachments
20240304_155001.jpg
(248.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20240304_155010.jpg
(229.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20240304_175552.jpg
(205.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

We'd call that a Palladian window if it were one section and a Large Picture with a mulled half round in your case here where it's two windows.

Don't want to hamstring them too much here without seeing the previous measurements and what the size needed to be, but the couple things you mention are somewhat damming. If you are reliant on caulk alone, you have a recipe for issues down the road. If whoever did that brick caulking did the window, you aren't dealing with the best of the best. And if you can't cap a half round, large as it may be, you are probably behind the skill-set power curve a bit.

Having a gaping hole that is secured by caulking, that goes through the old sill...not ideal either.

Are there going to be some sections that overlap, most definitely. Doesn't mean it will look like it does.

Sidebar, that capping on the entry door is suspect looking as well.

Why did you choose HD here vs. another window contractor?

PhillyFlyers74

#4 Post by PhillyFlyers74 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:10 pm We'd call that a Palladian window if it were one section and a Large Picture with a mulled half round in your case here where it's two windows.

Don't want to hamstring them too much here without seeing the previous measurements and what the size needed to be, but the couple things you mention are somewhat damming. If you are reliant on caulk alone, you have a recipe for issues down the road. If whoever did that brick caulking did the window, you aren't dealing with the best of the best. And if you can't cap a half round, large as it may be, you are probably behind the skill-set power curve a bit.

Having a gaping hole that is secured by caulking, that goes through the old sill...not ideal either.

Are there going to be some sections that overlap, most definitely. Doesn't mean it will look like it does.

Sidebar, that capping on the entry door is suspect looking as well.

Why did you choose HD here vs. another window contractor?
Hi, thanks so much for the reply! Everything you said is what I've felt as well, but needed someone experienced to confirm what I was feeling and seeing....

(and yes, the door has to be done next, we had the window done first because we were suspecting it's leak was also feeding down into the door frame, since it's rotting out.)

We should NOT have gone with HD, but I somehow thought this would be a better route, mistakenly...

I'm actually in Bel Air, Maryland.... I think I need to find someone better to cap this correctly, can you recommend someone with the right skillset in our area?

Thanks so much,

- Mike

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would do a local search on siding and trim installers. A window guy won't want to come out and cap someone else's window install.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Lots of red flags here to suggest an amateur install. Par for the course for box stores in my experience, but I don't mean to pour salt into that wound.

At minimum that opening needs to be completely re-trimmed, but I see enough to call the entire install into question to be quite honest.

If there is any saving grace here of having used HD, its that they are big enough (and deal with enough shoddy work) to potentially give you your money back so that you can hire professionals to install new windows correctly.
You have a very nice home, I don't think I'd settle for less.