Window replacements in Bronx, NYC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jevatelo

Window replacements in Bronx, NYC

#1 Post by jevatelo »

I live in a condo building in the Bronx and want to replace 9 windows (7 large windows + 2 small bathroom windows). I've gotten 2 price quotes and will get 2 more within the next couple of weeks.
1)The first company is local and gave me a quote of $3700 but the windows were aluminum and did not mention anything about energy efficiency or low-E, argon gas,etc.
2) The second company is Window World of Long Island. They came to my house and quoted me a price of $3573. The itemized breakdown is:
a) ComfortWorld windows "Series 6000 DH All-Welded" for $235 each for 9 windows ($2115)
b) Stimulus Compliant Value Package (Energy Star & Custom exterior trim) $108 each for 9 windows ($972)
c) EPA Lead Compliant ($270)
d) Obscure glass for 2 bathroom windows ($32)
e) Site set and landfill disposal fee ($175)
f) St. Judes donation ($9)

I will disregard the first quote but what about the Window World price? What brand of windows do they use and what is their work like?

Does anyone have suggestions on what are the best windows to use for my set up? I want something that works year round, blocks outside cold, keeps in warm, Low-E, argon, etc...

Thank you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window replacements in Bronx, NYC

#2 Post by masterext »

if you lived on Arthur ave, i would come from jersey to do the install..lol
window world does not make a good window, its basically an alside excalibur. anything in the price range that was quoted will not render anything in the quality department. there are much higher quality vinyl windows that will look nice, be very energy efficient, and will not DETRACT from the value of your home. i would look into Soft lite, Sunrise, HiMark, Okna or Gorell. you can call any one of these companies and have them direct you to a local dealer.
ive been doing this a long time, whenever you purchase a cheap window, you wind up paying alot more in the future . all windows are not the same just because they are white vinyl and have lowE/ Argon. cheaper vinyl eventually warps among other things and they also have high air leakage rates, not to mention they look cheap. do it right the first time and sharpen your pencil a bit..4700- 5000 is much more realistic unless there are some complicated details to the install.

jevatelo

#3 Post by jevatelo »

Thanks for the reply. I have two pending quotes from 2 different dealers. What are the most important questions to ask them? I realize the brand of the window is important and the installation itself. What are some specs to look out for?

I found this on the Okna website:

Glazing Option U-Value SHGC VT CR Minimum* Energy Star Minimum
Dual Glazed
Clear Glass 0.46 0.61 0.63 45 0.30 Does not qualify
With ESP 0.28 0.30 0.55 62 0.30 7% Better
Deluxe 0.25 0.30 0.55 62 0.30 17% Better
Triple Glazed
With ESP 0.21 0.26 0.43 70 0.30 30% Better
Deluxe 0.19 0.26 0.43 72 0.30 37% Better
Deluxe/krypton Gas 0.15 0.26 0.43 76 0.30 50% Better

U-Value, SHGC, VT, CR values may slightly change for windows made with GBG (Grids Between Glass)
SHGC - Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
VT - Visible Transmittance
CR - Condensation Resistance
ESP - Energy Saving Package
CIT - Currently In Test
* Northern Climate Zone
Industry Comparison To
Our Windows Minimum Industry Minimum

AAMA Rating R50 R15
Air Infiltration cfm/ft2 0.02 0.3 1500% Better
Water Penetration mph 54 33 64% Better
Structural Integrity mph 171 94 82% Better

Water Penetration mph - Specifies wind load pressure in mph a window can withstand
without leaking, under rain equivalent to 8" per hour.
Structural Integrity mph - Wind load in mph a window can withstand before breaking.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Any of the Okna windows 400DX, 500DX, or 800 DX will be better than the Alside windows.
Though it is the most expensive I like the 800 the best.
Even the 400 is < .09 AL which is important.
thewindownerd...

jevatelo

#5 Post by jevatelo »

Thanks for the reply Anthony. I am leaning towards the Okna 500 series the more I learn. I started a new thread here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5540.

Swong

#6 Post by Swong »

jevatelo,
Some of the vinyl windows presently being sold out there is absolute junk. There's a mfr of vinyl windows in the College Point, Queens area growing by leaps and bounds however I am not too thrilled with the quality of their windows.....vinyl extrusions are extremely thin which I believe is purposely designed into their products. Many homeowners contemplating vinyl over aluminum pick and choose predominantly over the square footage of glass area over the actual frame and extrusion area. While this somewhat makes sense as you like many others want lot's and lot's of sun for a picturesque view each time you look out the window this, however, sacrifices structural integrity in the long run. Take your time shopping as this is a decision not to be made lightly simply because you will live with your decision for 20 years or more. My only advice is to make sure aftermarket repair parts are readily available because window balances, pivot shoes, and pivot rods eventually all break hence you want readily available replacement parts down the road. Good luck in your purchase!

jevatelo

#7 Post by jevatelo »

Thanks for the advice Swong! My wife tells me that I over analyze and think too much but I explain to her that I can usually get great deals with proper research. She on the other hand does not have the patience and would purchase from the first big box store that showed her the infamous lamp trick where the salesman focuses a lamp on several panes of glasses to show how their product is superior.