Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-870-7321


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 am 

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm
Posts: 356
Location: New Jersey Window Pro- Northern NJ and Central NJ
Offline
window contractors do NOT remove lead and they are not supposed to. that is lead abatement and totally different.
your contractor should be certified and properly contain any potential lead dust. if he is certified, he will know what to do.. simply ask if he is RRP certified.. if he is, it is probably fine. he could test for lead or he can just assume there is lead and follow proper procedure. most contractors i know dont test for lead but just assume its there ( whether it is or not) and simply follow proper containment.
you are not going to have a bunch of guys running around in hazmat suits..
in the bronx, there are thousands of buildings with lead, how many people actually have lead poisoning? not many.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 pm
Posts: 1756
Location: Milwaukee, Madison areas
Offline
1) Any firm working on homes built prior to 1978 must be lead safe (RRP) certified, unless the homeowner has a certified negative lead test result. Some states like WI do not allow the cheaper test kits, so we just assume that each home (prior to 78) has lead, unless the HO wants to spend a few hundred dollars to get a test by a risk assessment firm.
2) The procedures are "lead safe" and deal with the containment and clean-up while working on a home that contains lead paint. It is not "abatement", although there are lead containing components that are removed such as sashes, etc. Lead abatement has different procedures and regulations.
3) The level of containment necessary depends on the type of installation. In a full frame tear-out for instance, it can be necessary to essentially quarantine each room or use a modular zip wall unit. For inserts, it is less as the debris can typically be contained to the exterior. The "haz-mat" or tyvek suits are recommended by the program, but not necessary. It falls on the choice of the installer and I have yet to see a single installer wear one.
4) A few mandatory components of the process:
-disbursement of the Renovate Right brochure
- warning signs, caution tape, and containment with plastic sheeting to meet specified procedures.
5) There is a checklist that is used on each job to insure that each procedure is followed
6) There are substantial record-keeping requirements (pictures, documents, etc)

...Hopefully that gives you some insight. Some companies try to scare you and make it seem like more than it really is, while others downplay it too much because they don't comply.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 19
Offline
Thanks guys on the lead information. Everything is so much clearer now. I believe the first company was cutting corners on this and other stuff so I have 'fired' them from any consideration. On my part, I will cover beds, eating areas and common areas with plastic wrap. When the job is done I will wipe everything down and mop the entire house.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:00 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3513
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
jevatelo wrote:
Thanks guys on the lead information. Everything is so much clearer now. I believe the first company was cutting corners on this and other stuff so I have 'fired' them from any consideration. On my part, I will cover beds, eating areas and common areas with plastic wrap. When the job is done I will wipe everything down and mop the entire house.


Do you need a job? :D

I could use another crew foreman with this attention to detail.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:04 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 19
Offline
HomeSealed wrote:
1) Any firm working on homes built prior to 1978 must be lead safe (RRP) certified, unless the homeowner has a certified negative lead test result. Some states like WI do not allow the cheaper test kits, so we just assume that each home (prior to 78) has lead, unless the HO wants to spend a few hundred dollars to get a test by a risk assessment firm.
2) The procedures are "lead safe" and deal with the containment and clean-up while working on a home that contains lead paint. It is not "abatement", although there are lead containing components that are removed such as sashes, etc. Lead abatement has different procedures and regulations.
3) The level of containment necessary depends on the type of installation. In a full frame tear-out for instance, it can be necessary to essentially quarantine each room or use a modular zip wall unit. For inserts, it is less as the debris can typically be contained to the exterior. The "haz-mat" or tyvek suits are recommended by the program, but not necessary. It falls on the choice of the installer and I have yet to see a single installer wear one.
4) A few mandatory components of the process:
-disbursement of the Renovate Right brochure
- warning signs, caution tape, and containment with plastic sheeting to meet specified procedures.
5) There is a checklist that is used on each job to insure that each procedure is followed
6) There are substantial record-keeping requirements (pictures, documents, etc)

...Hopefully that gives you some insight. Some companies try to scare you and make it seem like more than it really is, while others downplay it too much because they don't comply.


HomeSealed Thanks so much!! I used this information and compared to what the 1st dealer said. As it turns out, they WERE NOT following RRP guidelines. They simply were going to drop a couple of drop cloths and vacuum what ever debris they could. I don't even believe they going to me the brochure. Needless to say, I chose safety over price. Since then I had more quotes and both companies stressed lead protocol with me and even showed me pics of their work. The prices were slightly higher but I feel confident now with the work and install.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 19
Offline
Windows on Washington wrote:
jevatelo wrote:
Thanks guys on the lead information. Everything is so much clearer now. I believe the first company was cutting corners on this and other stuff so I have 'fired' them from any consideration. On my part, I will cover beds, eating areas and common areas with plastic wrap. When the job is done I will wipe everything down and mop the entire house.


Do you need a job? :D

I could use another crew foreman with this attention to detail.



Hey thanks for the offer. I actually enjoy construction work.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3513
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
We are ready when you are.... :D


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Affinity Elite Versus Okna 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 pm
Posts: 1756
Location: Milwaukee, Madison areas
Offline
jevatelo wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:
1) Any firm working on homes built prior to 1978 must be lead safe (RRP) certified, unless the homeowner has a certified negative lead test result. Some states like WI do not allow the cheaper test kits, so we just assume that each home (prior to 78) has lead, unless the HO wants to spend a few hundred dollars to get a test by a risk assessment firm.
2) The procedures are "lead safe" and deal with the containment and clean-up while working on a home that contains lead paint. It is not "abatement", although there are lead containing components that are removed such as sashes, etc. Lead abatement has different procedures and regulations.
3) The level of containment necessary depends on the type of installation. In a full frame tear-out for instance, it can be necessary to essentially quarantine each room or use a modular zip wall unit. For inserts, it is less as the debris can typically be contained to the exterior. The "haz-mat" or tyvek suits are recommended by the program, but not necessary. It falls on the choice of the installer and I have yet to see a single installer wear one.
4) A few mandatory components of the process:
-disbursement of the Renovate Right brochure
- warning signs, caution tape, and containment with plastic sheeting to meet specified procedures.
5) There is a checklist that is used on each job to insure that each procedure is followed
6) There are substantial record-keeping requirements (pictures, documents, etc)

...Hopefully that gives you some insight. Some companies try to scare you and make it seem like more than it really is, while others downplay it too much because they don't comply.


HomeSealed Thanks so much!! I used this information and compared to what the 1st dealer said. As it turns out, they WERE NOT following RRP guidelines. They simply were going to drop a couple of drop cloths and vacuum what ever debris they could. I don't even believe they going to me the brochure. Needless to say, I chose safety over price. Since then I had more quotes and both companies stressed lead protocol with me and even showed me pics of their work. The prices were slightly higher but I feel confident now with the work and install.

Good choice. The guys that do high quality work are generally going to follow the rules as well. :D


Top
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group