Window World vs Easton, Softlite or Simonton in Kansas City

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sagekat

Window World vs Easton, Softlite or Simonton in Kansas City

#1 Post by sagekat »

Hello! I have been studying this BB for help in choosing the right replacement windows for our 1980s construction suburban home in the Kansas City area. We need to replace a total of 21 windows, including one large picture windows. We also have 10 larger windows in our kitchen/dining area. We would like to improve the look and efficiency and enjoy them for our own personal use (no plans to move), so we don't necessarily want the cheapest option, but don't want to overdo it either. The prior home owner did put in 2 Anderson replacement windows. Here are our choices so far. The more I research each window type,the more confused I get:

Window World Series 6000 --- $9250
Easton Vinylmax -- $11,300
Softlite Imperial -- $12,850
Simonton 5500 -- $12,530

We liked the company that is offering the Simonton (they would also do exterior work), but weren't that impressed with the Simonton window (did not demonstrate well). The home needs lots of upgrades, so should we just save our $ and do Window World? All the above windows get mixed reviews online, it is very hard to decide.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window World vs Easton, Softlite or Simonton in Kansas City

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is "overdo"ing it?

I see that on the boards a bunch of times but I think people have a misnomer about this stuff. Putting the best looking and performing window in your home is not overdoing anything.

The ROI on window replacement projects is still over 70% for most of the country.

I always tell clients to get the best window they can for their situation and go with triple pane if the decreased light is not visually undesirable to them.

In terms of your choices, I tend to echo your sentiments on the Simonton 5500. I would also take the WW choice out of consideration.

What Soft-Lite Imperial was being quoted? If it was the LS, that is a smoking deal and you should jump on it. If it was the Pro, that is still the best window of that bunch.

sagekat

#3 Post by sagekat »

thanks! Yes it is for the Imperial LS double hung, 2 picture and one Barrington slider (for basement). The Imperials seem to get good reviews and would suit our needs.

We also got a quote for Anderson at like $24K for the project. The price point in our neighborhood is $200,000 to $250,000, so thought that would be a bit much. The house needs exterior work as well---either new siding (steel or fiber cement) or have someone restore the cedar we have now. So we need to allocate funds between these 2 projects.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you are getting a great window there it is far better than the other units in that comparison.

Make sure you consider the timing on the project. You might want to combine the window and siding projects so that you eliminate any duplicative work.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Imp LS will keep you nice and warm in the winter.
1 of my top 3 choices.