Simonton 5500 Reflections glass package/options, need help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OCD with research

Simonton 5500 Reflections glass package/options, need help

#1 Post by OCD with research »

Hi, we are replacing 10 windows on 2nd floor - all bedroom windows with larger openings facing all directions on a 100 year old house. Builder says to go replacement, we can keep our woodwork & not tear up plaster etc. He says wood casings are good/solid. We currently get a lot of noise from moderate traffic on main street, since we are on a corner, it pretty much effects all bedrooms/windows. Do we NEED to go laminate to quiet things down? Or will new vinyl windows make all the difference wihtout upgrade?

Looking for input on 4 large openings 52"x54". Simonton 5500 will make in one unit, which is what we have now & we do prefer the large windows over mulled unit, but we don't want to face problems with this down the line.
I'm confused about the glass offerings/options.

We were quoted on Simonton 5500 ETC Starter 366, Intercept, ProSolar Shade Low E (366), Argon, Double Glazed, Regular Strength, Extruded Screen Mold, no reinforcement, two air latches, two locks, sill extender, balance covers & I was asked if we needed a header extender. U 30/SHGC 18

Questions on glass package & looking for input:
1. do all Low E Glass options have green tint? Windows are going in 2nd floor of house, but will they clash with existing 1st floor picture windows that are not being replaced?
2. is SHGC 18 too low? Will we get enough light in bedrooms? Will we get enough sun light warmth in the winter & still keep AC inside in summer? (4 52x54 windows are in 3 bedrooms & face South & West ).
3. What would you suggest for window/glass package for us? From what I read, I need double strength glass & 1" super spacer, but some of the threads are 2010 & 2011, not sure if info is still current.

TIA! We are located in Chicago burbs.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Simonton 5500 Reflections glass package/options, need help

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

As far as the results of just putting in windows with no laminate glass, sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it can be even worse than the old window. If the old windows have gaps and are very leaky then new windows will probably help considerably for sound. On the other hand if your old windows are pretty airtight and they have good storm windows on them, new vinyl windows may not give you any sound reduction at all.

Whether laminate glass will give you the results you are expecting can be a tossup depending on the type of noise and how far away it is. I've had customers who have bought it because of dogs barking right by the bedroom windows who saw no real difference. On the other hand, I've had customers who were away from the street aways who are very satisfied with the results.

OCD with research

#3 Post by OCD with research »

current windows are wood and we do have good storms, but that only helps in the winter. In Spring, the glass comes out & the screens go in (a pain), leaving us with only 1 pane of glass between us & the street.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Then I would say laminated or even a regular IG would be better by a mile than single pane glass.

OCD with research

#5 Post by OCD with research »

I have another question - to plan ahead.

Would it work to combine install of Simonton 5500 with grids on upstairs of house - and Anderson 400 Woodwright w/grids on picture windows on downstairs of house?

Downstairs = 3 large windows in total. all old woodwork, wood trim floors - windows will be replaced in wood, probably anderson woodwright (we have 2 other windows/doors that are anderson woodwright to match).

Upstairs of house = white baseboards, white window trim, wood floors > easy to replace with white vinyl instead of wood & save $.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

that would be fine, i would'nt worry about it. from the ground level it will be hard to make a distinction.