Recommendations for vinyl replacement for Charleston SC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmoore

Recommendations for vinyl replacement for Charleston SC

#1 Post by jmoore »

What a great forum. I need to replace about 20 windows in my 20 year old home. I have spent weeks reading reviews on line. What one site states is a good window another states it is awful. :? I am aware that there are variables like if the window was installed correctly.

So I need expert advice. Any recommendations for good quality vinyl replacement windows/local contractors for my area that won't break the bank. Sun and heat in Charleston is the biggest issue rather than cold temperatures. I do not live on the coast so am not required to have a DP-50 rating, but wouldn't have an issue with that level if price was something I could afford.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommendations for vinyl replacement for Charleston SC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

A good window with a DP50 rating is not a rarity and that is what I would shoot for as the norm in your case.

The windows that you will normally see referred to as a premium brand are Okna/HiMark, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise.

I know that Okna/HiMark is not down that far but Soft-lite and Sunrise should be available in your area.

Be sure to specify either triple pane or a 3-Coat Low-e if you have cooling issues.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Dp 50 or higher is common, and a premium vinyl window will be there or better. I concur on the brands mentioned as well.

Fishy guy

#4 Post by Fishy guy »

I'm also in the Charleston area and I'm looking for vinyl windows too. Himark, sunrise, softlite are all not available here. I either used the "where to buy" function on their website or called them directly to find out.

So far I've found Simonton, Atrium, Pella, Jeld-wen, plygem and whatever the Anderson low end windows are called at Home depot.
Fact of life... I'm needing the lower end of whatever brand I'm buying. Price is the first thing I'm looking at though I might be able to go up one level if the price is ok.

Opinions on those brands or others to suggest?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton or Atrium of that bunch aren't bad.

Install is critical so that is a must to get right.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Simonton and Plygem get my vote.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:Simonton and Plygem get my vote.
Ah ha! I missed that one being UN-capitalized.

I agree. Simonton and Plygem (in no particular order) are my two favs as well.

Fishy guy

#8 Post by Fishy guy »

Gotcha. I looked at the Plygem today at a Builder's First Source. I should get a quote from them tomorrow. I liked the plygem vinyl clad wood better because the jambs were thinner but they'll probably cost more than I want to spend.

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Fishy, my recommendation of Plygem would be for their vinyl line, including the Premium series/Great Lakes Grandview 5000/Lifestyles/Seabrooke/Uniframe (They are not all exactly the same, but very similar). While the performance ratings don't place it in the upper echelon of choices, it is a solid piece if you find the right deal... I don't have direct experience with that vinyl clad wood product, but I generally don't like the wood/vinyl combo as much as fiberglass or aluminum. In addition, I see that product used most often in new construction applications which most often indicates that it's greatest virtue is cost rather than quality. That last part is speculation though, as I have not actually used that model.

Fishy guy

#10 Post by Fishy guy »

I haven't gotten the plygem quote yet and I can't remember what model we were looking at. I think he's going to quote me both the all vinyl series and the vinyl clad wood series. My main attraction to the clad wood was that the jambs seemed thinner therefore allowing more glass area. It's not that much of a difference and the sales rep suggested that the wood core windows were considerably more expensive so I think I'll end up with all vinyl anyway.

There was also a lowest price option of single hung, all vinyl windows branded with the Builder's First Source name. I'm not sure who makes them. I'm of the mind that double hung look nicer and would increase the resale value of the house but in truth it's one story on a slab and all the windows are easily accessible from inside or out. There's probably no need for double hung. Still, the single hung just seem to say, "cheap" to me.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Single hung usually means builders grade. Which as you can imagine = cheap.

Fishy guy

#12 Post by Fishy guy »

For some reason the Plygem rep only quoted me on the single hungs so I'm still waiting on the quote for double hungs.
I'm getting a Simonton quote as well.

Meantime I came across a distributor (84 Lumber) who carries Silverline (Anderson made?). I'm getting a quote on them as well but I'll solicit opinions on the brand here...

Thanks,
Fishy

EDIT: Yeesh, searching for Silverline turns up results that suggest I should stay far away...

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Of the mfg that you are looking at so far I would suggest the Simonton 5500/ Reflections series.
Solid good performer..
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishy guy

#14 Post by Fishy guy »

anthony wrote:Of the mfg that you are looking at so far I would suggest the Simonton 55500/ Reflections series.
Solid good performer..
Aren't they only in the replacement window style... without nailing fin? I was just quoted on the ProFinish Contractor series and the quote is higher than I was hoping for. How does that series compare with the 5500 series quality-wise?

For some reason on the simonton site they give me an architectural view of the profinish contractor windows but not of the reflections line.

Bill

#15 Post by Bill »

The 5500 is available with an integral nail fin for new construction applications; Simonton does not do a very good job of marketing the 5500 for new construction.

The 5500 is built much better than the Pro-Finish contractor. In the Pro-Finish line the ProFinish Brickmold is the best of the lot, still not as good as the 5500.