easy opening windows for childrens room

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tllake

easy opening windows for childrens room

#1 Post by tllake »

I am trying to decide which windows would be the best option for my children (5 and 8) rooms. My main concern is ease of opening for them. I want them to be able to open their windows if they need to get out quickly due to fire or whatever emergancy. I have read reviews however cannot find any that speak to this topic. The companies are :
Plygem
Milgard
Jeldwen
Gentek
All Weather

Any advice?

HomeSealed

Re: easy opening windows for childrens room

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located? I ask because Milgard is no longer available except out West, and Plygem has different offerings depending on region. I would not consider the other choices personally.
To answer your question:
1. They should all be relatively close in "ease of use", so I would not give that much weight in your decision.
2. Certainly fire escape is a valid concern, however given the fact that I have children of the same age range, I'm not sure that I want them to know how to open and climb out those windows on their own. I have to think the odds of them climbing out the window and getting hurt on any given day would be much higher than that of an emergency situation arising, coupled with a 5 yr old remembering and acting on a planned escape route. As a matter of fact, most people that I meet with young children love night ventilation latches primarily because the kids can't figure out how to open the window far enough to fall out ... Just a little bit of personal commentary there, please take no offense. :)

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe install a door or install fire sprinklers?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Any properly functioning window should be fine and if I could get out it as a teenager, I know I would have too!