Problem with my new Shuco windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
adam612

#1 Post by adam612 »

After months of research, I stared having the crappy windows in my house replaced with Shuco double hung. 4 rooms were done in late November.

Two concerns:
1) The glass is still shockingly cold. I don't feel a draft, but when the shade isn't pulled down, there's so much cold radiating from the glass that it feels cold standing there. With all the talk of energy efficiency in the Shuco literature, I was not expecting this. Is that supposed to happen? (I'm talking about 30 degree weather in NJ, by the way.)

2) The big problem: in two of the rooms, there's a really really loud whistle/howl when it's windy out. This has happened 7 times in the 7 weeks that we've had the windows. It's loud enough to wake us up at night... and there's no whistle in any of the old windows that are in the next room on the same side of the house.

I've already left a msg with the installer and haven't heard back. Do I have a legitimate gripe about the howl? I can't help but think it's not normal, and why would I want to spend another $8,000 for the remaining windows in my house if I'm going to hear that in every room?

Thanks

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

where in NJ and who did the work i might be able to help

adam612

#3 Post by adam612 »

We're in the Princeton area. Best Design (Toms River) put them in.

windowmannjny

#4 Post by windowmannjny »

sorry pal but im in north jersey and i dont know the shuco dealer down there, was your job from a real company or a private contractor?

adam612

#5 Post by adam612 »

Hopefully they'd be considered a real company. Not a handyman or something like that, it's a window company with all kinds of brochures and a web site, they're the exclusive Shuco dealer for that area. They were very professional in terms of the estimate, ordering, installation etc. and I met the owner himself a few times.

Would you say the whistle and howl is acceptable or that I have a legitimate complaint? And should Shuco windows be so cold to the touch?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Any glass no matter the low-e coating or gas fill will be cold to the touch in the winter. You'd have to have the glass 99 degrees or higher for it not to.

Just curious what glass package you ordered. If you didn't get triple with krypton, that would make a difference.

As far as the howling...
It could be a leak in the window.
It could be a missing weep hole cover
It could be a gap in the capping somewhere.
It could be blowing up the counterbalance pocket.
It could be a small gap where the screen fits in.

Basically, anywhere you have 2 pieces of material with a slight gap can cause howling. It doesn't have to be coming from a window leak. It's source can be from the same principal as when you whistle.
It can be really frustrating trying to track it down, because many times there is nothing wrong with the window itself. I would go outside on a day where you can hear it, get up real close and see if you can tell the source. If you can only hear it from the inside, then it's probably the window leaking air that is making the noise.

The U Factor

#7 Post by The U Factor »

Have you contacted the installer? What is their take on this?

bobmccl

#8 Post by bobmccl »

Adam,

Have you resolved your install issue? I have recently recieved a quote from Best Design Windows for the Schuco triple pane and we are seriously considering it.

windowmannjny

#9 Post by windowmannjny »

where are you in NJ?

bobmccl

#10 Post by bobmccl »

I am in the central NJ area, about 20 miles due east of Trenton. I recieved a surprisingly good price for 26 Schuco double hung windows, triple pane.
About $5000 less than Champion and far far less than Renewal. I am considering going with the Schuco. Best Design Windows, Brick NJ is the local dealer. Any suggestions are welcomed.

windowman pa

Schuco Service

#11 Post by windowman pa »

Hi Adam,
i just spoke to dan Paone @ BesT Design & he does have parts in to service your windows and will be in touch :D

windowman pa

Schuco Dealer

#12 Post by windowman pa »

Bob,
You will be very pleased with service from Best Design & quality of Schuco Windows :D keep us posted on install! :D Thanks!

windowmannjny

#13 Post by windowmannjny »

just curious about how much your paying for the triple pane schuco, and what window champion offers...triplepane? thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Champion has no triple.

bobmccl

#15 Post by bobmccl »

The quote from Champion was double pane.

windowman pa just joined the board today to correct Adam's issue?