Proper capping/wrapping/flashing?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Proper capping/wrapping/flashing?

#16 Post by Window4U (IL) »

kendrid wrote:An update: I spoke to the installer and he said there was a drip cap but they had to go over it with the wrapping because of our aluminum siding. He said it has a channel to run out of. He also stated that the inside of the wrapping is all caulked also, not just the outside along the siding.

He did say that it is not what he prefers but with our siding it is all he could do. With vinyl he would not have capped over the drip cap and would have done it differently. He said if we ever have our siding redone the drip caps should be redone to flow outside.

Does this sound legit?
I thought he cut the siding back? If he cut it back and took the entire window and nailing fins out, there would be no drip cap left because if there was a drip cap, the drip cap would have been installed right on top of the nailing flange. And then he says the drip cap is inside of his wrapping? So, if what he says is somehow true, if water ever gets behind the siding it will come down the wall and the water will release out to the inside of his "protective water-proof" aluminum wrapping?
:shock: Great plan. :roll:

kendrid

#17 Post by kendrid »

Window4U (IL) wrote: I thought he cut the siding back? If he cut it back and took the entire window and nailing fins out, there would be no drip cap left because if there was a drip cap, the drip cap would have been installed right on top of the nailing flange. And then he says the drip cap is inside of his wrapping? So, if what he says is somehow true, if water ever gets behind the siding it will come down the wall and the water will release out to the inside of his "protective water-proof" aluminum wrapping?
:shock: Great plan. :roll:
I don't get it either. I think the only way to really tell would be to pull off the top of one of the wrappings to see what is inside. Earlier in this thread another pro here said at times he has to wrap the drip cap but what really stops the water then?

I really don't think I had a drip cap before. I will check out a neighbor's house built around the same time to see if they have one. Actually wouldn't it almost be better to not have one at this point and hopefully the wrapping is actually sealed against the house. I see it as forcing water inside the wrapping vs it hopefully going around it.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#18 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If there are no roofs emptying out onto the wall and If none of the windows above have J-channel, and the wall has no J-blocks, J-vents or J-corners where water can leak in behind the siding, then you will probably not get water behind the aluminum siding. Vinyl siding is a different story. It gets soaking wet behind the siding every time in windy rain storms.

kendrid

#19 Post by kendrid »

Window4U (IL) wrote:If there are no roofs emptying out onto the wall and If none of the windows above have J-channel, and the wall has no J-blocks, J-vents or J-corners where water can leak in behind the siding, then you will probably not get water behind the aluminum siding. Vinyl siding is a different story. It gets soaking wet behind the siding every time in windy rain storms.
Thanks for all of the replies to my thread.

The only thing on the side of my house besides windows is two vents - one for the dryer and one for the microwave. I can easily inspect them/seal if needed. They are not near any windows though so it probably does not matter although it does sound like a good idea to check out as general house maintenance. From others on this thread it sounds like I should be doing annual checks of the sealing around the wrapping so I will add that to my check list.

I have a very good roofer that inspects my house every other year. I once had the garage roof leak next to my house because of a horrible flashing job when the house was built and he ripped it all out and fixed it. He is very good at aluminum wrapping (he fixed some fascia we had). I am thinking about asking him if he would take a look at what they did and see if with our roof he has any concerns. While he is a roofer he seems knowledgeable on construction in general.

There is a chance we will put new siding on the house in a few years. While I do not want to let these guys off the hook if this is a sub par job if it will last "long enough" I can rip out the wrapping and get the proper flashing done at that time. My worry is knowing if one of the windows is leaking water into the home or not. When our garage roof leaked it didn't take long to find out before any damage was done. We just had to replace a little drywall and get it properly fixed. I do have drywall around the windows so I can watch for stains if water stains show through paint (most are painted).

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep. But you either take him at his word or undo one to check.