Choosing replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
petersmike

Choosing replacement windows

#1 Post by petersmike »

Hi,
It is often heard that replacement windows are the best options considering energy savings. I am planning for a home renovation project next month and would like to know what type of replacement windows I should look for. How long would it hold on upon a long run? Would the quality last? Your feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Choosing replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Petersmike,

Despite the diligent and purposeful marketing efforts of the window industry, windows are not the best option (in a majority of the cases) when it comes to increasing the overall energy efficiency of the home.

What type of home renovation are you planning?

In terms of windows, I normally tell folks to start with what they want the window to look like and work backwards from there.

A properly engineered and designed window should easily last 20 years in a solid performance capacity.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Choosing replacement windows

#3 Post by masterext »

quality is essential for longenvity. for replacement windows that easily fall into the high quality category, i would look at the following brands:

okna, himark, sunrise, soft lite, or gorell.
most pro' would agree on the aforementioned brands. as far as an energy efficient home, a good window will definitely help alot buts its not the complete puzzle. you need to look at doors, wall insulation, and last but not least. attic insulation.
also, when it comes to replacement windows, the worst thing to do is attempt to cut corners and use cheaper/ lower quality windows. this is a mistake made by a countless number of homeowners who realize they wasted alot of money when they want to replace them again in a few years. air leakage and warping are two big issues not mention the windows are bery cheaply made.