patio doors

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
marion

patio doors

#1 Post by marion »

I have Alliance patio doors on my home of 5 years. Last saturday while we were out one door (the slider) cracked into a million pieces on the inside glass. It was in perfect condition when we left and no one was home. Now the company says it covers the door on the warrenty but not the glass---HUH? The door is 90% glass. What happened? This door is 5yrs. old and leads to an enclosed porch--totally protected.
Last edited by marion on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: patio doors

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How old is the door?

Usually (at least on windows) the glass warranty is the more long term warranty as compared to the frame sections.

There aren't too many warranties on patio door glass in most cases though so keep that in mind.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, many if not most companies do not have breakage warranties. Unless you have evidence otherwise, the manufacturer would assume that something hit it, as that would be the most common explanation by far.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With tempered glass when the breakage cause is not known it is sometimes refered to as spontanous breakage, there really is no spontanous breakage it is that the sorce has not been ID.
Is there grass on a lawn near the door, most of the tempered breakage I see is either a mower or whacker thrown stone, it sometimes creates a vent in the glass that may fully break with a secondary stress.