Sunrise Verde or Restoration?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
krazyjmac

Sunrise Verde or Restoration?

#1 Post by krazyjmac »

Hello everyone, thanks for all the information - I learned a lot on these boards!!! Tonight I would like to know if anyone has experience with two lines of Sunrise windows available in my area. We are upgrading the upstairs, 8 builder grade windows with Vinyl Double Hung.

I've seen the Verde window and the salesman told me the hardware is different and the Restoration has fiber reinforced sashes but the rest should be the same - the Verde also includes Solar Clean glass and Solar 12 Low-E by default he said. Both lines carry a lifetime manufacturing warranty so I'm not sure if the lack of reinforced sash matters, we do not care about the hardware - Verde's hardware is fine with us. The Solar Clean coating is nothing we looked for, but we can think of no reasons to avoid it.

The Restoration has Omega-12, salesman says it's the same as Solar 12, but no Solar Clean - we feel this explains most of the price difference.

We think we want the Verde because we trust that dealer more, but feel the other "could be slimeball" would do the job right. And I decided to poll the audience if you will.

So, I would appreciate any and all opinions, specifically I wanted to ask:

1. Has anyone experienced either line, and would you buy that line again?
2. Does anyone have a reason to choose based on a reinforced sash considering the warranty covers 100%?
3. Would anyone avoid the Solar Clean feature?
4. We are replacing 8 windows, would you consider the following prices to be fair for five 36x60 grids in three, one 48x48 obscured/tempered, two windows with grids in a 72x72 opening with bottom sashes tempered:
Verde $5086, Restoration $4526?

Thanks very much for your time and any feedback!
Jason

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Sunrise Verde or Restoration?

#2 Post by masterext »

im surprised the verde is more expensive than restorations. i would get the fiber reinforcement regardless. you could upgrade the verde with fiber reinforcement.
the hardware on the restorations is a bit different, it has a tilt latch/lock combo.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

The Restorations is slightly better having more bells and whistles. That said, it's close enough IMO that I'd choose the dealer that you feel for comfortable with. I do like the sash reinforcement in the sunrise product with its thin frames, so I'd just upgrade on the verde as masterext suggested.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Restorations all the way.

krazyjmac

#5 Post by krazyjmac »

Thanks for the responses!

I'm not wild about the lack of reinforcement, I keep asking myself why the manufacturer would offer the lifetime warranty if that is a weak point in the window. Are there other benefits to the fiber core reinforcement? When I read the warranty it seemed every inch of the window is covered forever, is sagging not covered in the warranty?

Has anyone seen the Verde line fail, or have issues resulting from the lack of a reinforcement bar? Or is it more about the peace of mind that you get more for your money, or a marketing tool?

How about the Solar Clean feature, does that have any gotchas?

Again, I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Jason

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

If a window is well designed, the lack of reinforcement is a non-issue. It becomes more desirable on very large openings and wide spans but even then, if the mill thickness on the extrusions is good enough, it isn't required.

Sagging should be covered.

No personally.

Sun clean glass does work but it needs the right conditions to truly work properly. Don't think you will never have to clean your windows and you should be fine.

krazyjmac

#7 Post by krazyjmac »

Thank you very much, I'll give the Verde a shot!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Krazy, this is just my opinion, but I'd highly recommend the reinforcement option on the Verde even though the sagging is covered by the warranty. Sunrise has one of the thinnest sash profiles available, so that reinforcement is peace of mind... I did not see your location, but if you are in a warm & sunny climate I'd almost say its a must.

krazyjmac

#9 Post by krazyjmac »

Thanks, I appreciate the opinion! We live in St. Louis, 5/8 windows face south and see full sun. So are you saying some sort of warping is the risk, flexing from the temps rather than sagging from the force of keeping the sashes closed?

The salesman said its not an option, I asked him to check again. Sounds like you guys would highly suggest their fiber bar, from the only cutaway pics I've seen I thought it would not add much, especially since the other manufacturers had some steel box beam. Is the Sunrise fiber core really effective?

I also have a Softlite dealer, the Imperial LS was close in price, is there a difference in performance?

Thanks for your input!!!
Jason

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes on the "fiber-bar". It is unlikely that you'd experience problems without it, but it is peace of mind for a small price.
The LS option throws a wrench into things. Personally, I happen to prefer the LS over the Verde, but it is close enough that I'd recommend the dealer that you fell better about. :)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

as HomeSealed alluded to, get the reinforcement. sunrse uses a " non conductive" reinforcement bar which i really like. some manufacturers use metal which conducts cold.

krazyjmac

#12 Post by krazyjmac »

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the feedback!

So I called Sunrise today, they do not offer the fiberglass reinforcement in the Verde, he told me that line has foam filling the rail - where the Restorations line does not, it has the fiberglass bar.

Three different employees told me they see no higher number of failures with any of the three lines, and that their most common failure mode seen is seal failure which is infrequent at that. So with that said, I submitted my order for the Verde considering the dealer and going with the first thing I learned on here, the installer is as important as the windows. I'll let you know how it goes.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

krazyjmac wrote:... the installer is as important as the windows.
Absolutely. Good purchase. :D

Ida-Boy

#14 Post by Ida-Boy »

I have done my research and we went with Sunrise Restoration windows. We elected to go full screen and did not add the solar clean glass. I was told by the salesman that he would recommend cleaning with a micro fiber cloth to avoid scratching as the “coating” could be and probably will get scratched. We also liked the look of the Restoration line, eliminating the tabs on the lower sash to release the window for tilt in cleaning, and instead using a double locking closer. So far, after close to a month, we have noticed that the Restoration line has quieted the noise from outside, room temperatures have remained constant and we haven’t notice near the drafts. Even though we lost 1 inch on each edge of the window of glass opening, (1” top, 1” bottom and 1” each side) we feel our rooms are brighter but most likely because the windows are cleaner that what we had. The tilt in make it so nice and easy to clean.
For us the Restoration line did cost more that the Verde line, so your experience is a bit odd to us.
A word also for the company that we dealt with… Toledo Door & Window in Toledo Ohio. Randy, our sales person was great, and our home had 16 double hung windows and 1 door-wall replaced in one day. Jay our installer, who has worked for T D&W for 8 years, and his crew of 2 other were courteous and did a great job on cleanup. Jay was always willing to answer questions and never made me feel like he was bothered by my questions and surprisingly the outside looks better that I even expected. I can’t say enough for this company: but Great Job! We just placed an order for a new entry door, a Provia steel door. It’s good to know that the company that you purchased your windows from will be around when you need them.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

That's great Ida, thanks for posting your experience. The Restorations is a very nice window... Provia makes a fantastic door as well, although you might consider the fiberglass lines-- The Signet is gorgeous... If you prefer steel, you won't find a better choice than Provia, IMO.