Surface temperature of new LowE window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ToddJ7

Surface temperature of new LowE window

#1 Post by ToddJ7 »

I recently had a single window replaced with LowE 366 glass. After installation I am surprised at the significant surface temperature difference between the LowE366 and the non-LowE glass window adjacent to it ... but not in the way I was expecting ...

The LowE window glass temperature (in the center) on the INSIDE is ~20deg WARMER then the temperature of the older adjacent non-LowE window (both are illuminated the same amount by the sun). Note that I am in Chicago where the temperature has been in the mid 90s and I keep the house temp around 77 ... clearly I am getting a significant heat transfer through this window and is therefore doing a poor job of insulating me from the outside.

What is going on here ... this is particularly counter-intuitive. Is there 'directionality' to the installation where the module could have been installed backwards?

Any insight is appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Surface temperature of new LowE window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

This is a very likely scenario.

The Low-e coating on the glass is reflecting more of the sun's energy (as compared to letting it penetrate) so it may cause a slight increase in surface temperature.

If the Low-e is on surface 3 (i.e. the interior surface of the inner pane), it is probable.

If the Low-e were on surface 2, the temperature difference would be less notable.