Triple Pane with no Argon gas vs Double Pane with Argon gas

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cksiam

Triple Pane with no Argon gas vs Double Pane with Argon gas

#1 Post by cksiam »

A Sunrise dealer here in Colorado is offering triple-pane Ultra-U plus glass with no argon gas for the same price as double pane Ultra-U plus glass with argon. It's our choice which to use.

We did our upstairs already with the triple-pane no gas a few years ago. We figured it would be better for the bright, hot summers here in Colorado and it would provide a little more privacy during the daytime since the windows are slightly more tinted. Our windows upstairs are bedrooms and bathrooms, so from the outside, it's more difficult to see in. But the rooms are still bright.

However, we're thinking about the double pane for the downstairs since some will be sliders and the sun is not as much of a concern for these windows. However, we'll also have 3-4 double hungs that get hit with the afternoon sun. So, which is the better window - triple pane no argon or double pain with argon?

Windows on Washington

Re: Triple Pane with no Argon gas vs Double Pane with Argon gas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Which way does that side of the home face and what are the U-Factor and SHGC numbers out of both?

cksiam

#3 Post by cksiam »

2 double hungs facing south with no awnings.
1 double hung facing south that opens to a covered porch (so it's shaded)
2 double hung facing west
3 slider windows (currently twin double hungs) facing north. These only on get a little sun in the morning.

For the TP double hungs, U-Factor = 0.26 and the SHGC 0.22 (VT is 0.42)
For the TP sliders, I believe U-Factor = 0.27 and SHGC is 0.22
For DP DH, U-F is .28 and SHGC is .28 (VT is 0.54)
For DP Slider, U-F is .29 and SHGC is 0.25

Because the the kitchen, dining and living rooms are on the north side of the house, we were thinking going with the DP for the higher VT for more light. But for upstairs since were weren't sure about argon gas at our altitude (5800'), we stuck with the TP all around.

Not sure if these are double or single strength glass panes or not. The dealers assumed they were double-strength but I can't get confirmation.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why can they get double pane unit with a gas fill and not triple pane units with a gas fill?

Usually it is one way or the other.

cksiam

#5 Post by cksiam »

They can get the TP with argon for more money. The price was for DP with argon, or, for the same price, TP with no argon.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why not get a quote on the TP with Argon. Argon does work although not as well in the smaller air spaces of the triple pane IGU, it still works.

cksiam

#7 Post by cksiam »

It's about $35 more per window (although another dealer won't charge anything extra for the argon). My original dealer/installer said he just doesn't trust that argon will stay in the window once it gets here to CO (or you'll never know if there's still argon in the window after a say 5 years). With the triple-pane, he says, at least you can see that third pane and know its there working. But everything I've seen on this board is that high gas dissipation concerns are completely overblown.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If its Cardinal glass, they are more than a professional company and the gas loss concern is a non-issue.

I would get the gas in the window if it were my home (if possible).

cksiam

#9 Post by cksiam »

Thanks, WoW. But if the Restorations guy is going to charge more for the argon, not sure that stays within our budget anymore. But switching to the regular Sunrise without the Fibercore reinforcement seems to be discouraged by the experts on this forum (as you replied in my other thread on that issue). So it seems that I have to decide which is more important, the argon gas or the Fibercore. Perhaps its a toss up.