Sunrise quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bubdifab

Sunrise quote

#1 Post by bubdifab »

Good evening. Ive been lurking and searching here for a little while to see if I can get some more info on a couple of quotes I recently received. I am looking for 10 replacement windows and have had 2 quotes. All 10 windows are under 100 united inches.

The first one was for Slocomb Pro-Tech 177 double hung window, which I have not really seen a good review on. The guy was only in my house for 23 minutes. i think he was throwing a number out to me once he found out i was in sales and wouldnt answer his cheesy sales questions. 10 windows, $3855 installed

The second quote is from a Sunrise dealer. He came by, was very nice and knowledgeable, and not at all pushy. he was here for about an hour and a half, two hours max. his quote was for the Sunrise Sunrise double-hung with ultra U Plus glass. 10 windows installed for $5250.

I'm not one to go with the cheapest bidder but I'm also not one to go with the first quote without negotiating either. I want the sunrise, so what would be a good price?

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise quote

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the details on the installation and the other options on the window?

i.e...is it a wood out, grids, rot, etc?

That is a very fair price for a pretty standard Sunrise window in my world.

bubdifab

#3 Post by bubdifab »

Windows on Washington wrote:What are the details on the installation and the other options on the window?

i.e...is it a wood out, grids, rot, etc?

That is a very fair price for a pretty standard Sunrise window in my world.
i believe its just a standard replacement, no rot or anything special. just replacing the old wood windows.

no grids, no glass design, pvc-coated aluminum capping, no interior trim, no blinds, half screens.

sorry i didnt post this earlier.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Good product, good price. That would definitely be my choice of the two... If you'd like additional premium products for comparison, check out softlite and HiMark.

bubdifab

#5 Post by bubdifab »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. Good product, good price. That would definitely be my choice of the two... If you'd like additional premium products for comparison, check out softlite and HiMark.
yeah i am leaning heavily towards sunrise. ive read they are a great product so i wont really shop around. it's just that thing about always having to get a better price than im presented with, lol.

also, is the ulta u+ glass alright, or is it worth it to go ultra u+12? i dont know the price difference, just that the SHGC is much less on the u+12.

bubdifab

#6 Post by bubdifab »

yeah i am leaning heavily towards sunrise. ive read they are a great product so i wont really shop around. it's just that thing about always having to get a better price than im presented with, lol.

also, is the ulta u+ glass alright, or is it worth it to go ultra u+12? i dont know the price difference, just that the SHGC is much less on the u+12.

i was just asking if the upgraded glass was a better investment or not really worth the extra cost...

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Upgraded glass is always a great option, just depends on what the cost is and whether or not it is a cost effective option.

SHGC is a complex decision to make but most folks homes are not set up to take advantage so the point is largely moot much of the time.

cksiam

#8 Post by cksiam »

I was concerned about loss of solar heat gain during the winter here in Colorado when I went with triple pane Sunrise windows on our south facing windows. These have two panes of Ultra-U plus glass. However, when I talked with an energy consultant here who was very knowledgeable about solar heat gain, she said my house really wasn't designed for solar heat gain and while some rooms may benefit with a higher SHGC, our energy bills were not likely to be lower in winter. The amount of glass area relative to the house walls wasn't large enough to make much of a difference she said. She said we were better off with windows that would help keep heat in during the winter rather then try to gain solar heat with higher SHGC windows (and we'd benefit more during the summer as well).

bubdifab

#9 Post by bubdifab »

Windows on Washington wrote:Upgraded glass is always a great option, just depends on what the cost is and whether or not it is a cost effective option.

SHGC is a complex decision to make but most folks homes are not set up to take advantage so the point is largely moot much of the time.

Ok great, thanks for the insight. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was worth getting if it was a couple bucks more. I will just stay with the regular glass. Thanks again!