color choices for windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
arkie

color choices for windows

#1 Post by arkie »

does anyone know anything about jeld-wen windows? I am starting a remodel project on a home and am looking at using vinyl windows on existing house and the new addition. My problem is finding a quality window and having some color choices for exterior and interior. The one's that come highly rated on this site seem to have only limited choices, usually only three. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jeff1995

Re: color choices for windows

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

Might I ask you to tell the board what color you are wanting for the exterior? What color for the interior? Also can be helpful if the board knows what city/ area your project is in. Jeld-Wen vinyl = Quality? You might want to look around some more.
Good Luck in your project.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Most of the manufacturers frequently recommended have 5+ options on the interior and endless custom color matching on the exterior. That said, if you could be so kind as to mention what you are looking for and where you are located, we can certainly point you in the right direction. :D

arkie

#4 Post by arkie »

Sure, I mentioned jeld-wen because of their color choices and some friends have the higher end jeld-wen windows and they are happy. We were wanting to go with an olive interior/ exterior color package. If we cant find that then we have decided this weekend to go with white on exterior and maybe different color on interior. Have used all clad windows in the past, but would like to get away from that expensive of a window. We have peachtree in our current home and spent app. 65,000.00 on window package. I have not been happy with them since day one. I will need app. 20 windows for this new project and would like to keep windows under 20,000.00. Thanks for any insight you can give.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

$1,000 an opening will give you some flexibility.

Have you considered fiberglass?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Once again, I have to +1 the previous comments. $1000 per opening is more than adequate for most window projects. Fiberglass would be a good option for its paintable interior, as would other composites such as Starmark. Wood would work, but I generally recommend against something that will eventually rot unless a beautifully stained interior is a "must have"... The reason that we asked for your location earlier is because many products are only available regionally, particularly the top performers.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If we know state and city we can be more helpful.
the window nerd

arkie

#8 Post by arkie »

Sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Jonesboro Arkansas. It is about 60 miles from Memphis Tennessee.

arkie

#9 Post by arkie »

i have not considered fiberglass. I was under the impression that they are low end and used in commercial construction and or apartment units. My builder has mentioned comfortview windows if we wanted to use white. I'm not impressed with those.
I did find a window they we both like it is called Hurd windows. The H3 model. I haven't priced them yet, they may be out of our price range though. A builder said they were comparable to a Marvin Integrity window. Any thoughts on these three? And could you recommend a good fiberglass one to look at that wouldn't show scratches or dent easily? thanks for everyone's input!! Never thought window selection would be so difficult!!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your impressions of fiberglass are incorrect. Fiberglass usually comes at a premium as compared to vinyl and sometimes aluminum.

Do you want a wood interior window (i.e. the Hurd window)?

arkie

#11 Post by arkie »

i'm sorry you were right, I was thinking of aluminum when i mentioned lower end. My biggest concern is we have always had wood interior windows and like the look. Our concern is getting the look of a good quality window and not being limited to color choices. I have been told there is a paint you can use that will work on vinyl. I like the prices of vinyl versus clad windows though if I can find a window that would compliment a 600-700 k home in my area. thanks for insight

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fiberglass with a real wood interior is an option that will fit your needs.

Look for InLine and Marvin Integrity.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

InLine will do any of 3000 SW colors, they do have 5 standard colors, and offer an oak red laminated interior.
Vinyl windows can be custom ordered in lots of colors, you do not want to paint them yourself, they use a special heat reflective paint.

arkie

#14 Post by arkie »

thanks, I don't believe inline is available in my area. My contractor is recommending Hurd H3 windows. Several high end homes are having these installed in my town. I have talked with some friends who have them and love them. But when you do a search on Hurd you find a lot of negative feedback? This all is very frustrating! At the end of the day I think we would want some flexibility in knowing that if we wanted to change the color of our windows on the inside at some point we could? So I'm not sure where that leaves me? Vinyl clad or Alum clad or some other option that i'm not thinking of? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We live in extreme weather changes! 100+ in summer with high humidity and in the 20-30's in winter with lots of rain and freezing rain and little snow.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on the climate conditions I would recommend vinyl or fiberglass.