AAMA/NFRC Numbers

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TigerEyesPa2012

AAMA/NFRC Numbers

#1 Post by TigerEyesPa2012 »

Hello!
My husband and I are researching different vinyl replacement windows. I have information on a few different double hung windows all ready. They all have AAMA/NFRC numbers. I am looking at Auburn Millwork's Preservation Window, Wellington Home Improvement's Ultramaxx and Stanek's 2000 or 4000 model but unable to find the AAMA or NFRC numbers to compare. This is all so confusing! I want the best windows in terms of how long they will last and if they will help keep my house cool. Any help?

Chehree

Re: AAMA/NFRC Numbers

#2 Post by Chehree »

Hi there -
My name is Cheryl Gendron and I am with the NFRC and want to pass along a bit of information to help with your search (at least for the NFRC thermal numbers.)

1. You can search the NFRC's Product Directory here: http://cpd.nfrc.org/cpd2/
2. Choose product type (in your case it will be window)
3. Search by manufacturer
4. Select the manufacturer in drop down
5. Choose available window type
6. Find Products
7. Select Product line

GOOD LUCK!

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks Cheryl.

You can also ask the salespeople for the Certified Products Directory Number (CPD# for short) but be prepared for glassy eyed looks.

That is the easiest way to look up a given product and will reference those exact thermal numbers on that window as it is optioned out.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments and thank you to Cheryl as well. :) The NFRC website is a great resource, but you can get your research done MUCH faster if you get the CPD number from the manufacturer or your sales rep. Some (manufacturers) only have a few listings, but others will have pages upon pages of listings for just one product line due to different spacers, air vs gas fills, low-e coatings, etc. It is nearly impossible to navigate in that circumstance.

TigerEyesPa2012

#5 Post by TigerEyesPa2012 »

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll give them all a try and see what happens! Wish me luck! :D

Angela_Dickson

#6 Post by Angela_Dickson »

You may also search AAMA's online Certified Products Directory at http://www.aamanet.org/CertifiedProducts. It will be helpful to know the name of the actual window manufacturer since that's how the AAMA directory is set up. You can search the directory by manufacturer, not by the name of the window dealer who sells the windows, though in some cases that could be one in the same.

To clarify, the NFRC certification denotes thermal performance. AAMA offers an additional certification for air, water and structural performance, in addition to forced entry resistance testing. Just so you are aware, AAMA certification is a step up from other window certifications. AAMA is the only program that performs two unannounced plant inspections each year. Others may do these inspections, but they give advance notice. It's a lot easier to clean your house when your know company is coming!

To ensure that it is AAMA certified for air, water and structural performance, check for a gold label with the AAMA logo on the left. There are many copy cats, so it's important to check for the logo. If the label has the logo, but it's silver, that means that AAMA has verified the testing of the product to NFRC's thermal standards only.

Learn more about AAMA certification by visiting http://www.aamanet.org/general/1/32/certification. And, good luck!

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Glad to see NfRC & AAMA sharing here.

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#8 Post by VRWAdmin »

Glad to see NfRC & AAMA sharing here.
Yes, its great to have your participation! Welcome to the board and we hope to hear more!

Ed's