Gorell vs. Softlite?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TNGlenn

Gorell vs. Softlite?

#1 Post by TNGlenn »

This is my first post, but I have been reading replacement windows posts on this forum for a while. Thanks to all the great pros on this board for making me a smarter windows customer!

We are replacing 19-year old builder quality aluminum windows. There are twelve 31 x 70 single-hung, one half circle, one 22 x 42 fixed picture and a 6-foot hinged patio door.

After considering our options, we want to install premium vinyl windows with a glass package that is low-e and laminated We don't have an Okna or Himark dealer here and the one Sunrise dealer doesn't stock their full line and is primarily a sunroom and awning installer. Fortunately, Softlite Gorell has recently signed on with a well-respected dealer here in Nashville that also installs Andersen wood windows. We have quotes for the Gorell 5300 and Softlite Imperial LS products (he doesn't sell Elements). I believe we could be happy with either Gorell or Softlite and our budget can afford either one.

I have two questions:
1. Not including the patio door, the Gorell quote for the windows is $9,930 or $710 per opening. The quote for the Softlite is $11,330 or $810 per opening. Assuming a quality install for either window from the same dealer, is the Softlite worth the $1,400 premium?

2. We preferred the Softlite Thermal Glide to the Gorell 6300/6400 patio door because the Softlite had brass rollers rather than the nylon rollers from Gorell. Now this dealer is quoting the new design Softlite patio door called "Kingsroyal" and is calling the Gorell door "Thermal Glide". Have any of you seen the new Softlite door? Has Softlite re-branded the Gorell door as "Thermal Glide? The "Kingsroyal" has stainless steel ball bearing rollers and upgraded hardware. Both doors use a laminated glass package. The Gorell 6400 is quoted at $2,972 and the Softlite Kingsroyal is quoted at $4,057. Is the new Softlite door worth the $1,000 premium?

Thanks for your opinions! --Glenn in Tennessee

Windows on Washington

Re: Gorell vs. Softlite?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In this comparison I prefer the LS over the 5300.

I have not seen that door yet but $4,000 is a pretty penny for a vinyl sliding door.

Did they tell you what the line item cost on the lamination upgrade was?

TNGlenn

#3 Post by TNGlenn »

Thank you, Windows on Washington.

Gorell 6300 (tempered) $1,800
Gorell 6400 (laminated) $2,972 (+$1,172)
Softlite Kingsroyal (tempered) $2,885
Softlite Kingsroyal (laminated) $4,057 (+1,172)

He's quoting the same $1,172 upcharge for the laminated glass packages for both brands.
This may include costs other than the glass, such as a stronger frame?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

i agree with you on your preference toward brass rollers opposed to nylon. Bear in mind gorell is a very good product but in this case i would go with the soft lite patio door.
$2900 for a patio door is well within range for a high quality vinyl but a 1700 upcharge for laminated might be a bit of a stretch.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:i agree with you on your preference toward brass rollers opposed to nylon. Bear in mind gorell is a very good product but in this case i would go with the soft lite patio door.
$2900 for a patio door is well within range for a high quality vinyl but a 1700 upcharge for laminated might be a bit of a stretch.
$1,172 for the laminated glass....somebody's dyslexia is kicking out...I mean in? :wink:

$1,100 and change is not out of the realm of reasonableness for laminate glass. I do know that Soft-lite charges a mint for their stuff.

What is the rationale on the laminated glass? Do you have some noise concerns?

TNGlenn

#6 Post by TNGlenn »

Primarily the sound deadening, but safety as well.
My wife works night shifts and sleeps during the day.
These prices will be a tough sell for my wife.
She prefers "good enough" and I prefer "best I can afford".
After we saw an early quote for Alside Excaliber, she had sticker shock when we
saw the good window quotes! (we will not be buying Alside in any event.)
We may have to go with the tempered Softlite door.
We could also use the laminated glass just in the bedroom windows to save costs.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Stick with regular glazing and add an alarm system.
The window nerd

TNGlenn

#8 Post by TNGlenn »

Thanks, Anthony. :)
An alarm system provides security, but doesn't do much to deaden the sound.
The sound problem is more important to us than security issues.
We'll have to pay up to get laminated glass if we want it badly enough.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 again.

Put the laminated glass in the bedroom windows if you really want them and outfit the home with a proper alarm system.

Laminated glass will not be as useful at preventing an alarm as a Smith and Wesson or an alarm system.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

The Gorell doors are no longer offered. They are now using the Soflite doors with the Gorell line. The new Softlite door offering is the Montpellier/King Royal. Looks like a very solid product from what I've seen. The Montpellier is basically the same as the Kings Royal minus a few bells and whistles, so that maybe a nice option for you (both have the brass rollers as well). On the glass, I'd stick with the tempered. A nice tight seal will go a long way toward improving the sound deadening... I am not sure of the future status of the ThermalWeld (old SL door), but I'd go for the new design either way. On the window, both choices would serve you well. The LS is found more visually appealing by most folks and has slightly better performance numbers, but they are both very solid choices. The 5300 technically comes in right under the LS in the Softlite-Gorell product lineup.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Homesealed: do you know if the new SL sliders are KD or welded frames.
A year ago my SL rep mentioned new designs and KD frames.
There are time we like a KD option, an enclosed court yard or third floor application for instance.
the window nerd

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

i'll take a KD any day.. just the thought of unloading an 8ft patio door in triple pane and then carrying it up two flights of stairs puts my back into spasms. lol

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:i'll take a KD any day.. just the thought of unloading an 8ft patio door in triple pane and then carrying it up two flights of stairs puts my back into spasms. lol
You need to get these guys to do your installs....

I had to use it again HomeSealed....its too good!!!

:lol:

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Lol, that pic is truly timeless...
Sorry guys, but the new SGD is welded. They do ship the operator separately, and from what I've seen, the fixed panel does not take a terrible amount of effort to remove for easy transport either, similar to the Okna/Himark. The KD models are marginally easier to transport, but you really can't beat the performance of a welded frame. I find that it actually takes my guys far less time to zip the fixed panel out and back in- in a welded door, than assembling a KD model that will offer inferior performance and a higher likelihood of future issues.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I tend to agree on the value of welded and assembled frames.
The first InLine doors I did, in Old City Philly, were KD, one was a 4 panel 12', one was a 3 panel 9'. The guys still humped everything over the flat roof. Brett my lead was crazy trying to put those frames together, canadian directions.
So next month we do a center city job with 4 5'x 8' , and 1 6' all in a court yard, but I got them all assembled, they weigh a ton.
Send the cats.
the window nerd
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.