Windows in Germany

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
richkuy

Windows in Germany

#1 Post by richkuy »

I am an American working for the US Air Force in Germany and just bought a house here. It needs replacement windows and glass doors. I just found this forum and am impressed with the expertise and generosity with information. Any ideas regarding good American or international window companies that sell in Germany? Thanks in advance for any information.

richkuy

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows in Germany

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What type of operators are in the home now?

Schuco did make a good window here in the states but they closed up their US operations. They didn't exactly do right but the customer base here so that does not speak really high of them but I think they are still making them in Europe and they are based in Germany.

Innotech also makes a very nice window and I think they are based out of Germany as well.

What do you do in the Air Force? My brother is active duty AF and stationed out of Nellis.

richkuy

#3 Post by richkuy »

Thank you for your response. I will check out those brands for availability here in Germany. Do you know anything about Unilux brand windows? There is a factory nearby and the Unilux trucks are common on the autobahn near here. I believe they sell in North America as well.

P.S. In answer to your question--I am a civilian psychotherapist and work in a Mental Health Clinic with Airman and family members at an American airbase.

rich

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't say that I know anything about Unilux. Windows can be a bit regional even inside the borders of the US so you are going to have to use some critical evaluation here on your own.

Many of the same performance criteria that are measured in the US are also measured in Europe (converted to a different unit of measurement).

Look for a window that has great thermal numbers, good air tightness ratings, solid design pressure, slim frame, and great warranty.

Install is critical anywhere so as best you can, vet the installers as well.

richkuy

#5 Post by richkuy »

Thanks. That sounds like solid guidance and I will use it in my search for the right windows. And thanks to your brother at Nellis AFB for his service to our country.

rich

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rick,

Thanks. Be sure to post up information as you sort through the quotes. We will try our best to assist you with the data and vetting.

Eric

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

Unilux is a premium wood and aluminum clad product that we in the US would associate with quality companys such as Marvin. For premium vinyl check out the products there from Gayko. See http://www.gayko.de

Hope this helps.

FYI- Unilux is made in the oldest village in Germany. It was established by the Roman Empire. The oldest window company of continuous operation, established 1728, still operates somewhere in Germany. My memory is not what it used to be so I can't name the town or the company. Also, If you want what we call a french door or window- make sure to call them no-post and don't call them French!

richkuy

#8 Post by richkuy »

Thanks for the information--I'll check out GAYKO too. Funnily enough, I live three kilometers away from a village (Neumagan) that was founded by the Romans and it bills itself as the Oldest Wine Village in Germany--maybe not the same. Will certainly investigate whether Unilux is there!

rich

JScott

#9 Post by JScott »

Let me know what you find.
Good luck in your hut for fenster and turen....and enjoy your dollar to Euro ratio!
The use of "Oldest" anything probably helps tourism. :D
http://www.unilux.de