Window advice needed in Colorado

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cathead

Window advice needed in Colorado

#1 Post by cathead »

Hello, I am looking to upgrade some, maybe all, windows in my house and have quickly discovered that I will need help deciphering the claims and realities of each company. I have selected a few from a local home show and the BBB to give me their pitch: Simonton, Champion, Milguard Tuscany, Ultimate 2000, Generations, and Weather Barrier. Are there any of these that you would cross off right away or any lines with in these brands to stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I know very little about this.

Thanks, Sam

Windows on Washington

Re: Window advice needed in Colorado

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sam,

If you search Colorado on this board, there are quite a few threads on window replacement in Colorado.

You can search this board's sister site as well: http://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/index.php

Dre

#3 Post by Dre »

Sam,
Curious what you decided. I'm considering the Ultimate 2000 windows now. I have 39 windows to replace, a huge investment that I want to be smart about.
Thanks,
Dre

cathead

#4 Post by cathead »

Dre wrote:Sam,
Curious what you decided. I'm considering the Ultimate 2000 windows now. I have 39 windows to replace, a huge investment that I want to be smart about.
Thanks,
Dre
Dre, have not decided yet. I am leaning toward Simonton although they are a little more than I want to spend. I have some lower quotes for Alside, Hyde Park, and similar products, but I want to be smart also and don't want to re-do in 4 or 5 years. I have 16 windows and plan to phase it all over 3 or 4 years.

Will91

#5 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I've looked at many window choices here in CO and can offer my opinions. First of all, I have not encountered Ultimate or Weather Barrier. Are these manufacturer names or model names?

I ended up going with 18 Simonton 5500 windows. After literally months of looking at choices, I felt the Simonton offered the best build along with fit and finish as well as aesthetics. I also went directly to the Milgard factory here in CO and although it would a fine window, the Tuscany is very "utilitarian" IMHO. I put a lot of importance on appearance and immediately crossed Milgard off my list. There are also some other choices you might want to look at. Amerimax is one and is built in Ft. Collins. They make a decent window and the windows are filled with argon at our altitude - which removes any concern for "pillowing" due to pressure differential between fill location and destination location. Although, my Simonton windows were built in Illinois and I have noticed little to no pillow effect - a lot of this depends on IG depth and glass thickness. Thinner IG depth and thicker glass is more forgiving. The Amerimax windows are very "trim" looking - their profiles are very thin offering more glass viewing area. Another choice would be Softlite or Vanguard. Check out Colorado Window Source if you are near Highlands Ranch - they had Vanguard and Amerimax when I was in the market. Also, check out US Building Supply - they recently started carrying SoftLite - a very nice looking window. Finally, one more choice you might want to look at is Amsco - you can see them at Pro Building Supply. Good fit and finish and Amsco uses Cardinal IG's - a leading IG manufacturer. (Simonton makes their own IG units). I would not buy Champion given the other fine choices available.

In the end, I went with Simonton sliders. Although not quite as equisite as perhaps other choices like Sunrise, I thought the fit and finish coupled with the stellar reputation and customer support made the choice easy. And... the only reason I looked at Simonton in the first place was due to the fine folks here on this board. Typical window stores here in CO don't display Simonton and it was only after I learned about them on this board that I sought out the distributors - ABC Supply, Norandex and Ted Lansing and saw them in their warehouses. It would be nice if Simonton estabished more "visibility" here in CO. In my opinion, their products trumps 9 out 10 other choices out here.

Finally, remember installation is at least as important as your window choice. Are you going new construction style or remodel? Each has its own set of installation intricacies. I went with new construction (integral nail fin flange) and ensured that the windows were properly integrated with my new Tyvek Housewrap and siding per DuPont and AAMA guidelines - it is a straighforward procedure but filled with pitfalls for an inexperienced installer. Let us know what you decide.

cathead

#6 Post by cathead »

Will91 wrote:Hi:

I've looked at many window choices here in CO and can offer my opinions. First of all, I have not encountered Ultimate or Weather Barrier. Are these manufacturer names or model names?

I ended up going with 18 Simonton 5500 windows. After literally months of looking at choices, I felt the Simonton offered the best build along with fit and finish as well as aesthetics. I also went directly to the Milgard factory here in CO and although it would a fine window, the Tuscany is very "utilitarian" IMHO. I put a lot of importance on appearance and immediately crossed Milgard off my list. There are also some other choices you might want to look at. Amerimax is one and is built in Ft. Collins. They make a decent window and the windows are filled with argon at our altitude - which removes any concern for "pillowing" due to pressure differential between fill location and destination location. Although, my Simonton windows were built in Illinois and I have noticed little to no pillow effect - a lot of this depends on IG depth and glass thickness. Thinner IG depth and thicker glass is more forgiving. The Amerimax windows are very "trim" looking - their profiles are very thin offering more glass viewing area. Another choice would be Softlite or Vanguard. Check out Colorado Window Source if you are near Highlands Ranch - they had Vanguard and Amerimax when I was in the market. Also, check out US Building Supply - they recently started carrying SoftLite - a very nice looking window. Finally, one more choice you might want to look at is Amsco - you can see them at Pro Building Supply. Good fit and finish and Amsco uses Cardinal IG's - a leading IG manufacturer. (Simonton makes their own IG units). I would not buy Champion given the other fine choices available.

In the end, I went with Simonton sliders. Although not quite as equisite as perhaps other choices like Sunrise, I thought the fit and finish coupled with the stellar reputation and customer support made the choice easy. And... the only reason I looked at Simonton in the first place was due to the fine folks here on this board. Typical window stores here in CO don't display Simonton and it was only after I learned about them on this board that I sought out the distributors - ABC Supply, Norandex and Ted Lansing and saw them in their warehouses. It would be nice if Simonton estabished more "visibility" here in CO. In my opinion, their products trumps 9 out 10 other choices out here.

Finally, remember installation is at least as important as your window choice. Are you going new construction style or remodel? Each has its own set of installation intricacies. I went with new construction (integral nail fin flange) and ensured that the windows were properly integrated with my new Tyvek Housewrap and siding per DuPont and AAMA guidelines - it is a straighforward procedure but filled with pitfalls for an inexperienced installer. Let us know what you decide.
Will91,
Thanks for the information. Ultimate is a re-labeled Alside and I'm pretty sure Weather Barrier is too. Not crazy about the Alside mainly due to experience with them through Window World and more recently from opinions on this forum. However, due to budget I am considering perhaps slightly upgraded Alsides for the 2 picture windows and something better for the DHs. There are 1 or 2 local companies in Colorado Springs I like, 1 for Simonton and the other carries Alside, Amsco and RBA. I plan to check into the Amcso next and get a quote for those.

I need to determine whether to look at Amsco vinyl or composite. One thing that I like is a sloped sill vs. the pocket sill. I've been told that the pocket sill is better for reducing air infiltration, but some of the sloped sill designs look like they will work pretty well also. I don't want water & dirt sitting in those pockets all the time and I know that the weep hole system won't allow complete drainage, at least on what I've seen so far.

Do you think it makes any sense to go low-budget for the fixed windows, or am I overlooking something with that idea?

Thanks again,
Sam

cathead

#7 Post by cathead »

I hope to decide this week on windows and have narrowed it down to Simonton Generations/9800 or Amsco composite. How do I determine which frame depth to go with? Amsco offers the composite in either a 4 9/16" or a "pocket series in a 3 1/2". Their brochure says the pocket uses a snap-in sill like it's a good thing, but I've read here that that is an inferior design and an invitation for water & dirt. Any opinions on this, and if my existing window openings require the smaller frame depth then should I just go with the Simonton? Most of my windows face south and that is why I'm considering composite vs. vinyl. Thanks again for any help!

armstrongs

#8 Post by armstrongs »

We purchased 1/4 of the replacement windows and slider doors we needed from Heart House in December 2011. We have had a nightmare customer service experience with Heart House, which used to be a reputable Colorado Springs company but is now being run by the owner's children. I can't gear up to go through the same experience again, but want to have all the windows in the house match. Has anyone had a good installation/customer service experience in Colorado Springs with another Simonton distributor/supplier? We installed the Simonton 9800 series. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton is sold via distribution so any contractor can get it. If you go to the Simonton website, they usually dealers listed.

Thankfully that is a widely distributed window so you should have no issue getting another contractor to put them in.

armstrongs

#10 Post by armstrongs »

That is good information. I appreciate it. One of the benefits that seemed to be a big selling point for the window companies I talked with was the warranty. It seems that if you have any problems with the windows, and we have with the Simonton's that have been installed so far, it is the company who installs them that usually carries the warranty. Is this true? If you simply hire an installer to put in your windows, then if a problem occurs in the future, what is the correct path to take to resolve that problem? I appreciate your expertise!

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

The warranty on the product is with the manufacturer and you can bypass the previous installation company in many cases.

They will be your first line of contact though.