Windows for a new build in the Colorado Mountains

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
beignet

Windows for a new build in the Colorado Mountains

#1 Post by beignet »

We are looking for windows for a new constructions we are doing at 9,200 feet in the Colorado mountains. Keeping the price as low as possible but still getting a good window for this altitude is important. We are looking at installing 17 windows, 1 french door, and 1 patio door and doing the installation ourselves. We already received a quote for the Milgard Tuscany vinyl windows with casement windows for the south, southwest facing windows and then sliders for the rest of the cabin for around 7600. We don't know anything about windows and I am going to need to order them within the next couple of weeks. Anybody have any suggestions?

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows for a new build in the Colorado Mountains

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Suggestion 1 for that altitude and weather conditions....don't go cheap.

Suggestion 2...start researching like a champ and set aside some time to take a look at your options and see what you like.

At those heights, winds, and climate extremes, your windows can be a real Achilles heel.

You will not have the option of argon fill unless they are done locally so most of your options are going to have breather tubes. What is the window schedule in terms of the elevations (i.e. what directions are they facing)?

beignet

#3 Post by beignet »

The bulk and largest windows including the patio and french doors will be facing south, and southwest. We get a lot of wind coming up from the valley towards these windows. I just don't know anything about windows and don't want to spend a fortune.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep researching or get with an architect that understands the principles of glazing and what is important.

Air tightness is supremely important in this case and that should carry over into the window brand and operator type that you choose. Tilt and turn and casements/awnings are going to be the tightest options as operators go.

After that, make sure you get a good brand and especially so if you stay with a vertical or horizontal sliding option.

If the home is set up for Passive Solar, get the proper formulation on your Low-e to allow for maximum passive solar while preventing radiant heat loss.

Cardinal makes some great coatings and as far as the large manufacturers go, is probably the most comprehensively stocked with those type options.

If you do your research and spend a bit more money...your home and heating bills will love you for it.

beignet

#5 Post by beignet »

I have received a quote from a Sunrise dealer her for 9,000 for the Sunrise classic line which I can't really find any information about. Does anyone know if this is a good line with Sunrise and is this a good price for the number of windows/doors we have?