Only three please...but which three?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jsflynn603

Only three please...but which three?

#1 Post by jsflynn603 »

Keene, NH. I've a triplex apartment house which is my home. Over the years I've replaced all but three windows with modern gas filled low-e. Now it's time for the remaining three.

In the past I've replaced everything, frame and all but logistics dictate that I use a vinyl replacement window instead of replacing the entire unit for these three.

I'll install them myself (it isn't rocket science, and yes, I am certified and trained and have all the lead certs, and I could easily teach the class, I'm an Occupational Health RN--in fact the only leaded paint left in the entire building is the inside rails of these three windows. When these are done I believe that I can pass a lead free inspection (using a scintillator).

A few questions: My window has a continuous angle at the bottom to allow water to exit, probably about 8-12 degrees. I realize that I must measure at the inside but what about the bevel? If the window is square, without the bevel then there will be about a 1/4" gap. Do some custom made windows come with a beveled bottom and is this the norm.

Can someone suggest a custom builder that I can only buy three from, preferably in NH. I'm frequently in Boston and so am in MA a lot but I don't cotton to having to pay the 6% sales tax so a vendor or rep in NH would be good.

Can someone suggest the "sweet point?" What I mean is that for a 28x50" window, I'd like one that is well built, sturdy, and preferably an R5, or did the boondoggle R5 window scheme never get off the ground. I don't need the Cadillac of windows, just one that is sturdy efficient and at a reasonable price.

Any well made window double or triple pane with low-e coating will beat by far what is there.

So considering that I need to get three windows shipped to NH, or buy them from a vendor here would someone please recommend one or two manufacturers that will sell just three?

I've heard good things about Harvey windows, but I don't think I can buy them unless I get them installed...which I'd rather not do.

Thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: Only three please...but which three?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

There are plenty of manufacturers out there, particularly in your region. What you'll need to find is a distributor or a dealer that sells to DIY. Okna is right in Pennsylvania, while Sunrise, Softlite/Gorell, and Affinity are a couple other great options. With enough effort, you should be able to find access to any of the three.
On the sill, a new replacement will have a sloped sill on the inside of the extrusion, however the perimeter of the frame is all square. There is a snap-in piece called a sill-angle, or sill adapter that is installed to fill that gap on a replacement install.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

most of the high end window dealers do NOT sell to DIYers although you may get lucky.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:most of the high end window dealers do NOT sell to DIYers although you may get lucky.
I'm guessing that probably varies by location. Most of the dealers around here do, although whether or not the price is prohibitive is another issue altogether.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The Ply-Gem premium series is a very good window avaiable through Lowes.

jsflynn603

#6 Post by jsflynn603 »

Thanks all.