Polaris Ultra Weld frame size?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Lakefamily

Polaris Ultra Weld frame size?

#1 Post by Lakefamily »

I received a quote for Polaris Ultra-Weld windows. Two are for somewhat large sliders (50"W X 77"H and 62"X 87). Each will have a slider on each side of a fixed window. I've read on this forum that Polaris Ultra-Weld windows have a somewhat wide profile. Does anyone have any information on exactly how wide the piece will be that runs vertically from the bottom to the top through the viewing portion of the window? (Basically the width of the slider portion of the window, not the frame of the outer window.) Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Polaris Ultra Weld frame size?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't have the exact measurement for that window, but if you are referring to the meeting rail where the sashes overlap between panels, it will be somewhere between 1.5-2". That is pretty standard across the board. The primary area that you'd see some difference on windows that are considered "slim", would be around the perimeter and the sill.
Good choice , btw. Very solid window. :)

Lakefamily

#3 Post by Lakefamily »

Thanks for your input. It's an important measurement to us since we have a great view and don't want it obstructed. Our current window that will be replaced has a 1 1/2 " thickness and we'd like it not to be more than that. We're also going to compare the Simonton 9800 and the Marvin Infinity. I'm sure the Marvin will be more expensive, but since it's fiberglass and maybe more durable we just want to get the info on it. We live on Lake Erie and the winds can be fierce, so a good window is a necessity...as we found out during Hurricane Sandy when we had to set up wicks and buckets for our leaky window!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Lakefamily wrote:Thanks for your input. It's an important measurement to us since we have a great view and don't want it obstructed. Our current window that will be replaced has a 1 1/2 " thickness and we'd like it not to be more than that. We're also going to compare the Simonton 9800 and the Marvin Infinity. I'm sure the Marvin will be more expensive, but since it's fiberglass and maybe more durable we just want to get the info on it. We live on Lake Erie and the winds can be fierce, so a good window is a necessity...as we found out during Hurricane Sandy when we had to set up wicks and buckets for our leaky window!
It will be fairly close to that on any of the three choices. The Infinity will probably be the slimmest.
In regard to your comment on wind, you are going to want to pay close attention to the Air infiltration ratings. The Polaris will be the clear winner of the three, and will be the tightest (and probably strongest) unit. The Infinity guy may come in and give you a bunch of hog-wash on how much stronger fiberglass is than vinyl, the expansion and contraction rate, etc etc. Don't buy into it! Although there is a grain of truth to some of the info, it can be exaggerated and does not take into account the size of a residential window, nor the design and engineering that goes into each product. The inherent properties of a given material are fine and dandy, but it is how a product is designed with those properties in mind that ultimately determines the quality, performance, and strength of a product. The thermal and structural performance ratings are THE best indicator of that , bar none. Every window is third party, independently tested, and the numbers are black and white. No need to trust a sales pitch.
All that said, the Infinity is a very nice product and may well be the window that you like best. Just be sure that if that is the case, your decision is based more on its appearance and detail (areas in which it shines) and not on a perceived notion of superior strength or performance.

Lakefamily

#5 Post by Lakefamily »

Good to know...thanks for your help.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

That measurement (at the meeting rail) tends to be a bit more consistent across the brands.

The edge of frame to edge of glass measurement is where you see some real differences and I suspect that the Infinity would be the slimmest of that group by not by much.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Eric; I agree the Infinity is a pretty window and slim line, but isn't the air infiltration rating a .27cfm? Or is that their wood DH window?

Lakefamily

#8 Post by Lakefamily »

Most sliders I've looked at have a frame size of 2 inches or just a fraction less, even the Marvin, as I just discovered. However, Simonton has a collection of windows called the Daylight Max which has less frame and more glass, as much as 40 percent more viewing area depending on window size. Is anyone familiar with the Simonton Daylight Max and if so, is it a good quality window comparable to the Prism Platinum, for example?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This discussion is getting interesting.
If you want a good fiberglass window with low air infiltration I would see if you can get a quote on InLine Fiberglass.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Yes, the Infinity double hung has a barely passing AL rating of .27cfm.

Lakefamily

Polaris Ultra Weld vs Simonton Prism Platinum

#11 Post by Lakefamily »

Sorry but what does a rating of .27cfm man? Should it be higher or lower. Where can I find similar ratings for the windows below I'm considering.

As of now, we've eliminated fiberglass as an option for various reasons and are narrowed down to two manufacturers: Polaris Ultra-Weld and Simonton Prism Platinum. The Simontons will be more expensive, but this will include extra precautions to improve the installation which seem very desirable in order to prevent air and water infiltration around the frame with the wind and driving rain we sometimes get on Lake Erie. This included a full frame tear out for the sliders and sinking the window further into the framing of the house with improved capping around the window. This will also allow increased glass exposure since more of the framing will be recessed. The other installation of the Polaris Ultra-Weld would be a simple tear out of the existing windows and installing the new ones in the exact space. My belief is that installation is everything here on a potentially windy lake and the Simonton company paid much more attention to that aspect of the project. Any thoughts from those who know to one who doesn't?

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

The .27cfm refers to the air infiltration rating of the product. Most manufactures that are not excellent in this area do not advertise their ratings, so you will need to ask your salesperson for the structural testing report on the product that you are considering. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but if I recall the Polaris unit is somewhere around .05 or so, while the Simonton is around .1. The lower that number is, the better, as it tells you essentially how "tight" the unit is against air-leakage. The lowest rating that you'll find anywhere is .01.
My personal preference as well as the air infiltration rating of those two choices would be the Polaris, but the Simonton is generally well-regarded. Certainly the installation type and quality are major factors to consider.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

In light of the OP stating this earlier:
We live on Lake Erie and the winds can be fierce, so a good window is a necessity...as we found out during Hurricane Sandy when we had to set up wicks and buckets for our leaky window!
I'd stay with windows that have AL ratings of .09 or lower.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Simonton 5500 is typical average of .14 AI
I agree with Randy .09 or less is the minimum you should look at, i recommend .05 or less.