Thermal Weld vs Ultra Weld Polaris Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
paynter

Thermal Weld vs Ultra Weld Polaris Windows

#1 Post by paynter »

Does anyone have any feelings about the Therma Weld vs Ultra Weld Polaris window? I know that the Ultra Weld is top of the line but do I really need it? Someone told me that they look "different" because they are "bulkier" or thicker. I don't think I'd like that.
I got a price on 2 Thermal Welds with XL glass (two coats low E) for $780. For standard, (one coat Low E) the price was $670 Includes grids, labor, taxes, etc....Would also throw in replacement of the cladding on my kitchen atrium door as it wasn't properly installed.
Price on two Ultra weld windows with the XL glass (2 coats Low E) was $920 ($810 with standard,(one coat Low E). The windows face west and really get alot of hot sun in the afternoons.
++

Windows on Washington

Re: Thermal Weld vs Ultra Weld Polaris Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located? That will tell you what the range on the Low-e you need is.

The ThermalWeld does have a slimmer line to it so if you are concerned about that thickness, that probably will be a deal breaker.

Both are good windows and solid performers. The UltraWeld is just better in its structural, thermal, and air infiltration performance.

paynter

#3 Post by paynter »

I'm in central Indiana and the windows face W/SW.
Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Central Indiana is certainly a climate where you would benefit from some passive solar heating in the winter months. That being the case, I would rather see triple pane as compared to a lower SHGC rated double pane on those South facing windows.

If the triple pane option pushes the window price outside the budgetary range, stay with the double pane and normal Low-e range.

Standard Low-e is going to dramatically reduce the solar heat (basically more than cut it by 2/3rds) over what you have now already (assuming you don't have Low-e windows right now).

Let us know how it turns out.