replacement window installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tom77

replacement window installation

#1 Post by tom77 »

When a window is taken out of the opening what type of framing is in the opening. 2X4 wood around the opening or a 1x4 in front of the 2x4 opening????

Windows on Washington

Re: replacement window installation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 1x4 is not structural but if the opening is framed, 2x4 framing is not required.

We often install 1x4 bucks inside concrete opening to get something that can installed to.

What type of opening are you dealing with?

tom77

#3 Post by tom77 »

Wood frame house first floor when any house is built i believe they frame out the rough opening with 2x4 now the window goes into that opening or do they put 1x4 up and then the window goes up against the 1x4 . I am trying to figure out what I am going to see as far as what kind of framing I see when the window comes out.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

the 1x4 you are thinking of (if im not mistaken) is the original frame of a window. during a replacement that frame is left in place which is secured to 2x4 studs . the new replacement window gets installed into the original 1x4 frame. there is much more to the installation but hopefully that gave you some clarity on the 1x4.
as WOW mentioned, we frame out concrete openings with 1x4's as well.
as a side note, the actual size of a 1 by is 3/4 inch.

tom77

#5 Post by tom77 »

20 years ago I had my aluminum windows replaced . The installer cut off the flange as the windows were nailed from the outside as they were the original. He left the flange in the wall. I believe his measurements were off because he put a 1x4 on top and two sides and installed the replacement windows. All my replacement windows have the 1x4 on the top and two sides even the picture window in the living room with sliders on each side of that window.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The RO is normally 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 or 2 x x depending on wall thickness.
1 x or ply wood may be added to a RO to pack in the the opeing.

Some installer, not many and not me, would line a drywall return jamb with 1 x x so they could mount the replacement window and have something to hang capping to.