Simonton 5500 series windows with debris between the panes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hollywood

Simonton 5500 series windows with debris between the panes

#1 Post by hollywood »

Hello all! After much research I decided to have Simonton 5500 series windows installed in my home. After the windows were installed I noticed surface scratches and debris between the glass panes in a number of windows. Has anyone else experienced this issue with Simonton windows?

I consider the scratches and debris between the glass panes objectionable and unacceptable. After contacting Simonton, I was told that the standard for determining if the windows are to be replaced is if the debris is visible from a few feet away. I found this method to be very subjective! Simonton is replacing some window sashes and glass packs but did not order replacements for all windows which were highlighted with issues.

Is debris between the window panes common? I did not have these issues with my original inferior windows and expected nothing less with the Simonton windows. Are clear windows too much to ask for these day? Help!
Last edited by hollywood on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 series windows with debris between the panes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Debris is by no means a standard occurrence or acceptable.

I have always found Simonton to be pro-active when it comes to warranty claims. They do a great job of taking care of their contractors.

Did you engage the contractor after you noticed the issues?

hollywood

#3 Post by hollywood »

I immediately engaged the contractor after noticing the issues. He contacted the distributor. Simonton sent a sub-contractor to observe issues. The sub-contractor had Simonton order 12 replacement sashes and 1 picture window glass pack.

I highlighted black spots and debris issues within 6 picture windows. New glass was only order for one picture window. I have been in contact with Simonton directly. Next week the Simonton sub-contractors are coming to install the replacement windows and take a second look at the five remaining picture windows with issues. I asked my contractor to be present next week when the Simonton sub-contractors arrive. This process has been frustrating for I do not have time to keep taking off from work. Do you know of any steps I can take to resolve this issue promptly?

Are scratches and debris between the panes common within Simonton windows. I found quality issues in over 15 windows.
Last edited by hollywood on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to my knowledge.

I think you are following the steps properly and they are probably observing their standard protocols as well.

Be sure to take pictures and keep track of the progress.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The last 5500 job I installed I found some similar issues.
I like my products to come perfect.
With most companies I feel the attitude is "oh well, we will service it in the field". It is a terrible attitude.
I had a job from this week and last that had two different QC issues.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I've had similar issues with Simonton over the past couple of years, which is one reason why I dropped the line. It seems like the Oklahoma plant has some real quality control issues.

Like WoW said, document everything carefully and make sure your contractor is being aggressive in demanding that you are satisfied. He's going to buy a lot more windows than you are in the years to come so Simonton is going to be far more likely to go above and beyond for him than you.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

It has been a good long while since we have used them much at all so I will defer to these two pros.

Sounds like it is happening a bit more than normal. That is unfortunate and I wonder if that kind of stuff is taken into account on their next JD Power award... :roll:

Keep the photos and stay diligent. Everything I know of them as a company indicates that they will do right by you.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

All of your problems should have been handled by your contractor. You should not have to ask your contractor to be present.I would not maake full payment till rectified.
I have always had positive experience with Simonton.

hollywood

#9 Post by hollywood »

My contractor has been by my side through this ordeal. I made the mistake of not telling him about the initial visit of the Simonton sub-contractors. I have told my contractor about next week's visit and he will be present.

As a consumer I am disappointed that Simonton did not order replacements for all windows highlighted with issues. I am not sure if the Simonton sub-contractor aspires to achieve the same level of customer satisfaction as Simonton or not. As far as I am concerned the sub-contractor is Simonton. I highlighted more than just glass issues. Deep scratches were found in one window, improperly cut window assembly trim, and screens with trailings not trimmed. None of these issues have been addressed and i have not heard of a plan to resolve these issues.

I have faith in my contractor so I know that he will see to it that all issues are addressed properly. He is aware of my dissatisfaction and knows that I want these issues resolved promptly. I have been reading content from this forum for some time and I wanted to know if others had experienced similar issues with Simonton windows.

Oberon

#10 Post by Oberon »

randy wrote:I've had similar issues with Simonton over the past couple of years, which is one reason why I dropped the line. It seems like the Oklahoma plant has some real quality control issues.

Like WoW said, document everything carefully and make sure your contractor is being aggressive in demanding that you are satisfied. He's going to buy a lot more windows than you are in the years to come so Simonton is going to be far more likely to go above and beyond for him than you.
Simonton closed the McAlester, OK plant earlier this year.

hollywood

#11 Post by hollywood »

Ok all, I am back with an update. Yesterday the Simonton sub-contractors came and installed 12 sashes and one picture window glass pack. My contractor was present to discuss why glass for all of the picture windows had not been ordered.

Last Saturday mid day when the sun shines through the picture windows with the issues, I took the liberty to get my ladder and place tape under a lot of the instances where debris is between the glass panes and issues with the seal around the glass. This was needed to highlight the issues because the contractors were coming in the morning then the sun does not shine on the picture windows.

My contract asked the Simonton subs to take pictures of the windows with tape so Simonton can see the issues. The sub-contractors were able to clearly she the issues in the picture windows. They took pictures and now I am waiting for feedback from Simonton.

In parallel my contractor is arranging for the Simonton rep that supports him to come to my home to view this issues directly.

Now for the bad news! One of the replacement sashes has a big piece of hair between the pane! I noticed the hair while the sash was being installed. The hair will move if you tilt in the sash. I am really losing confidence in Simonton's quality control. One would expect that Simonton would double check to ensure the replacement windows are free of issues! I will check the other replacement sashes this weekend.

I am really sorry that I selected Simonton to replace my original windows. In hindsight I believe Softlite would have been a better choice. Are there any Simonton factory personnel on this site that I can converse with regarding my issues?

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not sure that I would regret my decision that much.

They will obviously warranty that other sash and you will get the windows, without trash in them, installed to your liking.

Factories do have hiccups from time to time regardless of who they are.