Soft-lite vs. Okna

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
booglu

Soft-lite vs. Okna

#1 Post by booglu »

I'm comparing a couple types of windows and am wondering if I can get an opinion about my best option. My first quote is for Soft-lite pros, my other quote is for Okna 800 and is about $1000 more for 4 windows. I know that I'm not necessarily comparing apples to apples here and that the Elements or Imperial LS would be closer to the Okna 800. But I really don't like the frame width on the Imperial LS. My question is, is the Okna 800 THAT much better? And, is there something else out there I ought to be considering?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-lite vs. Okna

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is huge gap to span on a per window basis.

On paper, its not worth $250 more per window. If you like the look of the 800 vs the Pro, what that is worth to you is whatever it is worth to you.

If you are concerned about frame width, I would have the Okna contractor quote the Precision Weld (400 - the more apt comparison to the Pro) or the Insul-Tec (500).

See what the competitive bids would be on those two and re-evaluate. The 400/500 are very slim lined like the Pro and Bainbridge so you will get a bit more glass back as compared to the 800.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The Okna 800 is going to be more expensive based on the construction of the frame as well as both the performance and structural advantages.
The Okna 800 and Soft Lite Elements are 2 very well designed windows which in my opinion are the best windows in the industry.
You could ask to see the Okna 500 which is still above the soft lite pro but on par with the Imperial LS. the okna 500 is a solid window with great performance numbers as well.
the okna 400 would be in line with the soft lite pro and maybe more affordable.

The new Okna 600 series ( EcoPro ) has all the features that the 800 has but for whatever reason is priced better. The 600 is definitely a step above the 500 series.
The okna 600 is on par with soft lite elements.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. $250 per window is very difficult to justify assuming that both installations are equal (if they are not, that could be the reason for the price difference).
As suggested above, the 400 series would be a better comparison and should be closer in price. The 500 might just be a happy medium... This is all assuming of course that you do not need woodgrain, as you can only get it in the 800.

booglu

#5 Post by booglu »

Thanks very much for the input - I'll look into the 500s. One other question - how crucial is the meeting rail reinforcement? I ask because one of my double hungs is very large and I don't want sagging to be a problem down the road. It's 50"+ wide.

Thanks again!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I like the reinforcement on windows over 48" as a general guideline, however, if a window has a good DP number and good mil thickness to the vinyl, it is fine.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would choose between the Imp LS and the 800DX.
Both superior windows.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

booglu wrote:Thanks very much for the input - I'll look into the 500s. One other question - how crucial is the meeting rail reinforcement? I ask because one of my double hungs is very large and I don't want sagging to be a problem down the road. It's 50"+ wide.

Thanks again!
+1 to WoW's comments. The 500 is a very stout extrusion as evidenced by its DP50 rating (without reinforcement). We've actually gone over 50" wide on them with no issues. That said, the reinforcement (800 series) is never a bad idea if for no other reason than peace of mind.